Storyist Forums

Style/Formatting troubles

Rob

Hello all,

I'm trying to do something pretty basic but am running into trouble.

I'd like to group chapters together into parts (we've all seen in books where there is a "Part I" , "Part II" , etc. or sometimes "Book I" , and so on.) So all I need to do is create a page between chapters, separated from those chapters by a clean page break, that I can format how I please.

My problem is twofold. First, there is no style that fits this and I can't for the life of me figure out how to create one that works. I wish I could just hit "page break" like I can in Microsoft Word. I need a style with a page break and that allows me to have multiple isolated lines of text within one page, without each line being its own "section."

Second, in the outline view I'd like to be able to see my chapters appear grouped under a part and collapsable with the little triangle, the same way multiple sections appear under a chapter. Is there any way to do this? I guess I could create each part as a separate manuscript, but I'd rather them all be together in one.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm trying to do something pretty basic but am running into trouble.

I'd like to group chapters together into parts (we've all seen in books where there is a "Part I" , "Part II" , etc. or sometimes "Book I" , and so on.) So all I need to do is create a page between chapters, separated from those chapters by a clean page break, that I can format how I please.

My problem is twofold. First, there is no style that fits this and I can't for the life of me figure out how to create one that works. I wish I could just hit "page break" like I can in Microsoft Word. I need a style with a page break and that allows me to have multiple isolated lines of text within one page, without each line being its own "section."

Just create a style for your parts and make sure you check the "Paragraph starts on a new page" checkbox.

You'll find more information on this in the posts titled HOWTO: Create a template having more than one level and in this screencast.

Second, in the outline view I'd like to be able to see my chapters appear grouped under a part and collapsable with the little triangle, the same way multiple sections appear under a chapter. Is there any way to do this? I guess I could create each part as a separate manuscript, but I'd rather them all be together in one.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rob

Once you set up the styles as described in the linked post (basically, you create a "Part" style with a heading level of 1 and a "Chapter" style with a heading level of 2), your chapters will appear in the outline view as you want.

-Steve

• 3 months later...

This worked for me; however, when I opened up the mobi file on the Kindle previewer, the book page ended up on the same page as the chapter page. I went back and checked the settings and they were correct. Does anyone have a fix for this? I would love to use this feature as it's easier to go through each chapter this way.

Archived