Storyist Forums

Backup/Restore to/from .mac

Mikael@mblaisdell.com

It would be great if there was an option to backup to .mac, and to restore from .mac

When I go on the road, I shift from my desktop to my laptop. I've found the easiest way to keep the two computers in synch is to use my .mac account. By doing a synch from the desktop that replaces everything on .mac with the desktop's contents, and then doing a synch with my laptop that replaces the laptop's contents with what's on .mac, I end up with 3 separate copies of everything.

It would be great if there was an option to backup to .mac, and to restore from .mac

When I go on the road, I shift from my desktop to my laptop. I've found the easiest way to keep the two computers in synch is to use my .mac account. By doing a synch from the desktop that replaces everything on .mac with the desktop's contents, and then doing a synch with my laptop that replaces the laptop's contents with what's on .mac, I end up with 3 separate copies of everything.

One button backup to and restore from .mac seems like a great idea. I wonder if any other Mac product has thought of this?

-Thoth.

One button backup to and restore from .mac seems like a great idea. I wonder if any other Mac product has thought of this?

-Thoth.

SOHO Notes (formerly Stickybrain) does it. I haven't used the feature, though. I just copy files to my iDisk every day I make changes. (Not that I have any objection to one-button backup.)

Welcome, Mikael!

Marguerite

SOHO Notes (formerly Stickybrain) does it. I haven't used the feature, though. I just copy files to my iDisk every day I make changes. (Not that I have any objection to one-button backup.)

Welcome, Mikael!

Marguerite

Thanks Marguerite.

And yes, welcome to the Forum, Mikael.

-Thoth.

Thoth, Marguerite,

I strongly recommend that people don't use SOHO Notes or its predecessor, Stickybrain -- the company is horrible when it comes to Support. Most especially, Never Install ANY of their "Updates" or "Upgrades" until at least 3 weeks or more has gone by since the release date. It's also a good idea to check MacWorld's forums even then. The company has a well-earned reputation for releasing buggy "fixes" that can do nasty things to your data. And when you let them know, for example, that their "update" duplicated every entry in the database --sometimes multiple times -- their response is: "Oh, well, we'll fix that next week along with some other stuff..."

--mikael

Thanks Marguerite.

And yes, welcome to the Forum, Mikael.

-Thoth.

That's why we have forums like this.

Thank you, Mikael.

-Thoth.

Good to know. Thanks for the warning. I gave up on automatic updates after Software Update destroyed my husband's ability to start up without kernel panics, Office installed an update that still crashes unpredictably despite numerous updates since, and various other lovely experiences of the same ilk.

But at least I now understand why SOHO Notes insists on recreating its default notes every time I start up, no matter how many times said notes are deleted.....

Too bad they're such jerks about support, because I love Stickybrain (for those who don't know, it's a note-keeping program that lets you select any text from, say, a website and save it for future use--receipts, passwords [if you're inclined to keep passwords in an insecure location, not recommended], URLs, hints from Storyist users, lists of library books and when they're due--anything you might put on a Post-It and clutter up your office with). And unlike Mac Stickies, you can arrange the notes in folders, as in Mail, and search them on the fly through a menulet.

Clearly, what they need is a Steve! ;)

Best,

Marguerite

Archived