Storyist Forums

Suppress Table of Contents?

Lastpuppet

Storyist works great for my chapter books, and when exporting to Kindle, I love the linked ToC being automatically created. Now, however, I'm publishing some stand-alone short stories and don't need a ToC. Is there any way to turn this off or supress it when exporting to Kindle? I can leave it in with the title of the story as the chapter heading, but this just looks stupid for a one story book. I know i can also go in and edit it out of the .opf file, then run KindleGen from the command line, but if i have to go to all this trouble then it takes away the usefulness of Storyist. Please help?

Hi Lastpuppet,

Storyist works great for my chapter books, and when exporting to Kindle, I love the linked ToC being automatically created. Now, however, I'm publishing some stand-alone short stories and don't need a ToC. Is there any way to turn this off or supress it when exporting to Kindle? I can leave it in with the title of the story as the chapter heading, but this just looks stupid for a one story book. I know i can also go in and edit it out of the .opf file, then run KindleGen from the command line, but if i have to go to all this trouble then it takes away the usefulness of Storyist. Please help?

Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, there isn't a mechanism for turning off the generation of the HTML TOC when creating Kindle editions. I believe Amazon used to require them (and the Kindle Previewer still generates a warning it it doesn't find one), but the new Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines now say only that "Amazon strongly recommends the use of an HTML TOC for all books that would benefit from this navigation feature." Short stories obviously don't benefit from having one, so...

I'll look into adding the option to turn it off.

-Steve

Hi Lastpuppet,

Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, there isn't a mechanism for turning off the generation of the HTML TOC when creating Kindle editions. I believe Amazon used to require them (and the Kindle Previewer still generates a warning it it doesn't find one), but the new Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines now say only that "Amazon strongly recommends the use of an HTML TOC for all books that would benefit from this navigation feature." Short stories obviously don't benefit from having one, so...

I'll look into adding the option to turn it off.

-Steve

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response, Steve!

Archived