Storyist Forums

Mountain Lion

Steve E

Hello everyone.

So, what comes after Mac OS Lion?

Dragon? Unicorn? Guppy?

Nope. Apple isn't finished with the big cats.

Coming this Summer: Mountain Lion.

Click here.

Then here.

Steve, did you get your early preview version for developers?

(Don't tell Apple that "mountain lion" is just another term for "cougar".)

-Thoth.

BTW The list so far: 10.0 "Cheetah"; 10.1: "Puma"; 10.2: "Jaguar"; 10.3: "Panther"; 10.4: "Tiger"; 10.5: "Leopard"; 10.6: "Snow Leopard"; 10.7: "Lion"; 10.8: "Mountain Lion".

This summer? Yikes, I've barely adapted to Lion, and now I'm supposed to run for the hills? :lol:

And poor Steve! Another OS to support!

Or will my iMac be declared too old to upgrade? It just turned two, after all. ;)

It's about ready for the old folks home. :huh:

And what about us retros still riding the Tiger on an PowerPC G5 saddle? B)

Thanks for the warning,

Your welcome.

It's interesting that they didn't just go with Cougar. Probably a "macho" thing.

-Thoth

This summer? Yikes, I've barely adapted to Lion, and now I'm supposed to run for the hills? :lol:

Doesn't look like there will be too much adapting. In fact, I think that's the point—it looks like a more "iOS-ified" Lion. Maybe that's how they choose names: if the changes aren't drastic they keep the previous cat in the name, just as Snow Leopard really didn't take any adapting from Leopard.

Some features look pretty nice though.

Or will my iMac be declared too old to upgrade? It just turned two, after all. ;)

I'm sure Apple would like you to not worry about installing Mountain Lion and instead buying a new Mac that comes with it pre-installed! ;)

(but I'm guessing it will run on any Mac with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU or better).

Orren

Great links!

Thanks. Yours too. And yes, Gruber was certainly worth the read.

Doesn't look like there will be too much adapting. In fact, I think that's the point—it looks like a more "iOS-ified" Lion. Maybe that's how they choose names: if the changes aren't drastic they keep the previous cat in the name, just as Snow Leopard really didn't take any adapting from Leopard.

Could be. The facts seem to fit the theory (but that's not a proof of the theory).

I'm sure Apple would like you to not worry about installing Mountain Lion and instead buying a new Mac that comes with it pre-installed! ;)

(but I'm guessing it will run on any Mac with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU or better).

:(

What will be, will be.

(Please excuse the tautology.)

-Thoth

Mountain Lion, panther and puma are all the same animal...

And really, aren't all updates to OS X the same operating system? ;)

It's too bad they didn't go with insects, there's thousands of species to choose from. They could have given every point-release a new insect name and never repeated themselves!

Orren

It's too bad they didn't go with insects, there's thousands of species to choose from. They could have given every point-release a new insect name and never repeated themselves!

True, but would OS Tsetse Fly have the same marketing panache?

did a pretty solid overview of 30 features in 2 minutes.

That was cool. B)

-Thoth

Archived