Storyist Forums

Cover Image no show after epub export

vdricra

I have followed the steps to export my story as an epub, but every time I do - the image is not viewable. I've test the epub on several different e-reads: sony e-reader, nook reader etc. The cover image is no where to be seen. Is this something I shouldn't worry about? I do plan on selling the particular story on amazon and such.

I've never had this happen. My cover images always appear in the ePub and Kindle versions. Could you give us some more information? For example, are these JPG or PNG files that you have stored in the Images Collection in Storyist? Are you selecting them properly when you export to ePub? Do you rearrange the files so that the cover file comes first and check that Storyist recognizes it as a cover?

I have an iPad and had a Kindle, so I can't speak to the specifics of the nook or Sony e-readers. The cover should show up in calibre and Adobe Digital Editions (both free), though, as well as on the e-readers themselves.

Welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

Hi, vdricra,

I understand your puzzlement. It should be working, and maybe someone who knows more than I do (Steve?) can find the solution.

The one thing I did notice is that the cover image is fairly large (8 MB). Do the nook and Sony e-readers have size limits that Kindle and Digital Editions don't? I save my cover files through Photoshop's Save for Web feature to keep them no more than 50KB in size. Preview on the Mac can also reduce file sizes, although not as flexibly as Photoshop. Remember that you need only 72 dpi for an e-book file, just as you do for the Web.

That's just a guess, but this discussion has reminded me that I did send an ePub version of my book to a critique partner, who read it on her nook without any trouble. I created the file in Storyist and both text and cover displayed for her. So it can be done. We just need to figure out why it's not happening for you.

The Dropbox images were a great idea, by the way. Very helpful.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived