Storyist Forums

Select text and create new character or setting

james011

It would be great if while you're writing and introducing new characters or settings, that you could just select that text, hit a key command and you would then have a new character or setting sheet with that text, while staying on your story and not bouncing to a character or setting sheet.

I don't currently see any way to do this, so if I'm mistaken, please let me know. Otherwise I think that would be a great feature.

Thx.

Hi James.

It would be great if while you're writing and introducing new characters or settings, that you could just select that text, hit a key command and you would then have a new character or setting sheet with that text, while staying on your story and not bouncing to a character or setting sheet.

Yes, that would be great. And it would be wonderful if Steve could put enough A.I. into Storyist so that it could just look at that selected text and pick out things like gender and eye color, etcetera, and loading them into the appropriate fields. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

However, if you mean select (for example) a name and click a button and have a Character Sheet appear in the Project View with that selected text as the Sheet's name, that seems doable (schedule permitting) and I would second it.

Dumping a load of selected text into a new Sheet's Summary section for future editing would be good too but how would you want to name the Sheet? Give it a default name?

The Devil is in the details.

-Thoth

I don't think I would like it if the program did it automatically. That could result in a lot of junk or unnecessary items being cataloged. I would rather just have the ability to catalog things as needed while I'm writing without having to jump out of my story.

Another item I forgot to include with the characters and settings is 'items', like 'The Ring of Doom' in Lord of the Rings, I would say that's a pretty important 'item' to have listed.

Thx

Hi James,

Welcome to the forums.

Another item I forgot to include with the characters and settings is 'items', like 'The Ring of Doom' in Lord of the Rings, I would say that's a pretty important 'item' to have listed.

Prop sheets area already on the list thanks to Thoth (you probably warmed his heart by adding your request).

As for your first request, a context menu item like "Add sheet with selection" would be useful. The context menu is getting crowded, though, so let me think about that.

-Steve

Hi James,

Welcome to the forums.

Prop sheets area already on the list thanks to Thoth (you probably warmed his heart by adding your request).

As for your first request, a context menu item like "Add sheet with selection" would be useful. The context menu is getting crowded, though, so let me think about that.

-Steve

Thanks Steve. You're referring to the Control + Click submenus? If so that would be great. Maybe an "Add To" menu with a submenu listing Characters, Settings, Things as choices.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I like "Things" a bit better than "Props". If it were something like a bird or butterfly, without necessarily being a character, I think it would fit better under "Things", no?

Yes, it does indeed warm the cockles of my heart. Thank you.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I like "Things" a bit better than "Props". If it were something like a bird or butterfly, without necessarily being a character, I think it would fit better under "Things", no?

I'm not wedded to the term "Props" but I do find it more theatrical. Whether it's a butterfly on a string or The One Ring, scripts refer to any portable object (other than a rented object such as a piece of furniture or a costume) as a "prop" (short for "property of the production").

Heart cockles appropriately warmed.

-Thoth

I don't think I would like it if the program did it automatically. That could result in a lot of junk or unnecessary items being cataloged. I would rather just have the ability to catalog things as needed while I'm writing without having to jump out of my story.

Thx

Add my name to this as well. Sounds like great idea.

The only caveat I would add is if it could be added to the iPad version at the same time. Do most of my writing with iPad version.

Thanks for listening

Phil

Archived