Storyist Forums

Outline levels for Novels. Acts?

writeman

Hello. I just bought Storyist last week for iPad and am considering buying the desktop app as well for mac. I have a few questions that relate to both apps as I have also downloaded the trial on mac.

1. How can I add Acts into the outline heirarchy for my novel manuscript outline. I am attempting to outline like this: ACTS > CHAPTERS > SEQUENCES > SCENES.

2. Is there a way to achieve this using the Novel template on the ipad/desktop app?

3. Is there a way to see these as nested card stacks within the app? Right now I simply see these little yellow Header deals and then cards under them. It would be cool to be able to completely outline with index cards from the top of my heirarchy to the bottom.

4. Is there a way to duplicate folders/sections for quick copy and renaming during an outline process? On mac command + D is a duplication command that exists in lots of apps including Scrivener (which I don't own but tried trial) etc. I'd love to see this in Storyist.

5. Is there an option to stop showing text in the page view exclusive to just the selected section? Or does it always show the whole project?

Love it so far and thanks!

Hello. I just bought Storyist last week for iPad and am considering buying the desktop app as well for mac. I have a few questions that relate to both apps as I have also downloaded the trial on mac.

Welcome to the forums, writeman. I thought someone else would answer these questions, but since you've been waiting for 24 hours, let me take a stab at them.

1. How can I add Acts into the outline heirarchy for my novel manuscript outline. I am attempting to outline like this: ACTS > CHAPTERS > SEQUENCES > SCENES.

You can do this using outline levels on the Mac version. Check here for directions. The results will transfer to the iPad, but you can't (yet) alter styles on the iPad, so you can't make the change there. I also just re-uploaded a version 2 edition of the Day_Chapter_Section.story template to the Sharing section. If you rename the style that Callista used for the days to Acts or whatever you want to call it, you can correct the style formatting as you like, save the file, and transfer that saved file to your iPad.

2. Is there a way to achieve this using the Novel template on the ipad/desktop app?

Yes, you can modify the Novel template in the desktop version, not on the iPad app. The results will transfer, though, as I mentioned.

3. Is there a way to see these as nested card stacks within the app? Right now I simply see these little yellow Header deals and then cards under them. It would be cool to be able to completely outline with index cards from the top of my heirarchy to the bottom.

I don't think so. Even the Mac shows blue cards for folders, and you have to click on the folder to get to the next level. The best way to work with many levels of an outline hierarchy is to display the file in Outline mode in the Mac version. Then all the levels are displayed at once and you can show/hide them. I don't think that feature has made it to the iPad app yet.

4. Is there a way to duplicate folders/sections for quick copy and renaming during an outline process? On mac command + D is a duplication command that exists in lots of apps including Scrivener (which I don't own but tried trial) etc. I'd love to see this in Storyist.

Click on whatever you want to duplicate and Option-drag it (that is, hold down the Option key and drag the item or folder to a new location). You will get something called "item" copy, where "item" is the name of the original note, sheet, section, manuscript, or folder.

5. Is there an option to stop showing text in the page view exclusive to just the selected section? Or does it always show the whole project?

Love it so far and thanks!

The whole project always displays as a single continuous file (this is different from Scrivener). You can select a section for copying, deletion, or whatever by Control-clicking or right-clicking it and choosing "Select Section" from the contextual menu. Several people have requested the ability to print, export, or display just one section or chapter, but we don't have that feature yet. You can print selected pages or a range of pages, though.

Storyist is great. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've used it for five years and can't imagine writing without it!

Best,

Marguerite

Archived