Storyist Forums

Help for a Helvetica allergy sufferer

bodsham

I'm trying to make sure I never see Helvetica while writing. A small personal obsession but we all have them. I've managed to change the styles quite easily for the manuscript - dead obvious. I assume you can't get rid of the dreaded Helvetica for section sheets - at least I can't see a way to do this. But since I don't use sheets right now that doesn't bother me.

I do want to use the Notebook though. I see you can't set styles for the section sheets but the text area in the Notebook does come up with a style - body text. This is set to Optima for the manuscript. It still generates Helvetica when I create a new notebook page. If I go back into the style I see it says Helvetica too. If I change this to Optima and save I still get Helvetica on new notebook pages.

Am I missing something here? I really would like to banish Helvetica from my sight forever if possible. And Optima looks fantastic on the new retina iPad screen too.

Hi, Bodsham:

You can change the base fonts for index cards, outline, and images by going to Preferences (under Storyist) and clicking on Appearance. You can either edit the default theme or add a new one. In your case, you probably want to edit the defaults to banish Helvetica forever from the cards and the outline (funny, I like Helvetica!).

I tested the notes, but I don't see a way to set a new default there. Each note exists independently. Even if you add a new style (say Body Text 2) to one note, it doesn't transfer to the next one. That can actually be quite useful if you want to change, say, heading styles for a single note without changing them everywhere. What you can do is copy a note that you have altered and have the fonts "stick." So you could do the following:

1. Add a new note. It shows up in Helvetica. Choose Format > Style > Edit Current Style. Change Helvetica to Optima. Click OK to get back to your note. New Notebook Entry is now displayed in Optima.

2. Hold down the Option key and drag the note to copy it. Do this a couple of times so that you have a spare on hand. They will appear as New Note, New Note Copy, etc.

3. Rather than click the + key to add a note, keep copying your preformatted ones.

Not the most elegant solution, perhaps, but it works. You can also make a feature request in the appropriate spot to have notebook styles added to the Appearance panel.

You can't change the fonts in the summary fields and certain other parts of sheets, as you noticed, although Steve has said several times that sheet customization is on his list for features to add. You can change the fonts in the Notes section of sheets, if you so desire. Just use the Inspector, as you do in the manuscript.

Best,

M

Archived