Storyist Forums

Remember Last Page or Bookmarking

shawnge

It would be great to have some way of remembering the last page you were on. I have found that when I am working on a script—right now a feature length script—if I restart my iPad or come back a few days later (i.e. the app is opening from its auto-save state) I have to not only open the script I was working on again, but track down the page I left off at. It would be great to have a way to call back up the last scene I was working on, or the last scene I read.

Thanks for the welcome.

Doesn't seem to work for me (unless I'm missing a preference somewhere.)

I open my script, read a few pages, make changes. If the app is quit from the multitasking tray, or my iPad is turned off, etc. the next time I launch the app I'm greeted with the script selection screen. When I select the script I was hoping to pick up with, I'm at the bottom of the first page. This is on the latest version (the recent one that included retina support—looks great by the way)

Hmm. Weird—and frustrating, I'm sure. The Mighty Steve, developer of Storyist, will have to figure out this one.

FWIW, my novel opens exactly where I left it on the iPad, despite having been synced to Dropbox, edited on my Mac, resynced, and reopened on the iPad in an app that I quit before shutting down.

Note that I am not doubting your report. It looks as if you may have uncovered a bug.

Best,

M

Hello

I think this could be happening if the document is not edited in any way instead just read at least that is the way it seems to work for me.

The way around the problem is to add a space where ever you leave off reading and then take the space out before closing the document. That should be enough of an edit to keep the place where you ended.

It is a bit of a pain having to do this each time you read the document but it does work in the testing I did after reading the initial question by shawnge.

Phil

I tried it after making changes and not making changes and it was the same with both attempts. A quick note: I'm working in screenplay mode. It persisted both with a script synced from my desktop via Dropbox, and with a script started from within the app.

Hi Shawnge,

Phil is correct. Version 1.2 saves your last editing position in the document. There should be no difference between a script and a novel, and I'm not able to reproduce this here (the editing position is preserved as expected).

Make sure you're running version 1.2, which came out just recently.

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely running the latest version, and this note was posted on the latest too (I'm a habitual updated.) I figured out what was going on. It turns out that the behaviour you describe does work so long as you back out of the script and return to the "My Projects" screen first. I noticed that if I left the active script up, and shut down my iPad, or quit the app from the multitasking area, it would not return to where I left off (it often returned to the last page I was on in final draft when I last worked on a draft on my computer.)

But, I found that if I hit the arrow at the top and return to the "My Projects" page it will save my place and works as you mentioned above. So I'll make sure when I end a session I do just that. Thanks for the feedback.

Archived