Storyist Forums

Hello from California's Central Coast

I'm new here, so I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I've done freelance newspaper and magazine writing for several years (with articles published in national magazines such as The Writer, Rangefinder, Paralegal Today, and others). My first novel, ABUSE OF DISCRETION, was published in November of last year (and is free today, if you're interested in it). I've been working on the next book in the series, and switched from Scrivener to Storyist because of the fact that Storyist has an iPad app and Scrivener doesn't. Having made the switch, I'm finding that Storyist also avoids some of the friction points I'd experienced in my writing process with Scrivener - it's less fully-featured in some ways, but leaner and nimbler as a result.

Having gotten the new book, tentatively titled MANIFEST ERROR, converted to Storyist, I'm now happily writing away with my MacBook Pro and my iPad (with Apple bluetooth keyboard). The iPad, keyboard, and Storyist are an amazing platform for me, and most of my MacBook Air envy has abated now.

My novels (at least, the current series) are set in the confines of the child welfare/social services system. I was a foster parent for three years, and worked as a paralegal within that system afterward, so I've seen the best and worst from both sides, as it were. I'm still working in court, but now in a less emotionally challenging capacity: I mediate lawsuits in small claims court, and am working on my qualifications to mediate larger cases. Though the emotional trauma of this work is lessened, there's still a great challenge - and lots of fodder for crime fiction!

Oh, I also love RV camping and spending time with my spouse, daughter, and 2 (soon to be 3) companion parrots.

Hi, Tammy, and welcome! It's always nice to find out what other people are doing/writing.

Congratulations on the publication of your novel, and good luck.

Just downloaded your book. I'd love to hear more about your experience with CreateSpace. I'm gearing up to publish my novel, and I have a much poorer sense of how Amazon's print arm works than I do of what it takes to publish a Kindle book.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi TC, and welcome. It's always nice to have people with Kindle publishing experience on the forum. With the looming death of brick-and-mortar book stores on the horizon electronic publishing is clearly the way of the future.

Congratulations on publishing ABUSE OF DISCRETION. Tessa looks interesting.

-Thoth

Archived