Storyist Forums

Cumulative Wordcounts & Wordcounts in Index Card View

green_knight

What it says in the subject line.

It would be wonderful if every element could have a wordcount - so while it's wonderful to have a scene-by-scene wordcount, I'd love to be able to see how many words the manuscript in total has, how many words each chapter has, etc, so I could simply look at my list of chapters and see how many words they contain, and then, if I want, expand and see how many words per scene.

I'd also love to have a wordcount if I'm looking at the notecard view.

And while we're at it I would like a pony different colours for comments.

I don't need most of that, but a per-chapter word count would be really useful for me. Hmm, maybe a better approach would be that, if text is selected, a word count for the selection is shown. Then you could select a chapter, a scene, a beat, whatever.

Hi, Tammy, and welcome to the forums—

Are you making this request for Storyist for Mac? The Mac version already does this. Just select some text and look at the bottom of the screen, where the word counts are displayed. You'll see the word count for just the selected text. (Quick tip: Control-click or right-click on a section, and you can select the entire section and see the word count.)

I agree that it would be useful to have the ability to select one or more entire chapters and get a word and page count, as well as print the chapter, export the chapter, etc. (we can, of course, print a selected page range).

If the request is related to Storyist for iPad, the app can't yet alter its word count for a selection. There's no quick way to select a section, either. I think Steve said that both are on his list of features to add.

Green Knight's suggestions would be useful, too.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived