Storyist Forums

Manuscript frozen, can add or delete anything...

Yvonne

I'm relatively new to Storyist, and about 15,000 words of the way into a manuscript. This morning I've opened up my manuscript to continue working and it's been incredibly unresponsive. I can't seem to delete anything, or type anything new. I have managed to change a sentence into italics but everything seems slow. I've quit Storyist several times and reopened my document and it hasn't made any difference. I've opened up a word document to make sure there weren't issues with my keyboard, and everything was fine. Any help would be much appreciated. I've just wasted 30 mins of a 2 hr writing session and am feeling very frustrated right now. I don't know if I'm missing something incredibly obvious but not sure what else to try?

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give us more technical details about your computer?

- operating system

- total RAM

- free disc space

- what other applications you're running

What you describe sounds like a memory problem, quite possibly caused by a memory leak - and quitting Storyist is not much help, you need to quit everyhing and restart, and quite possibly restart again if it's persistent.

One tool that will tell you a bit more about what's going on is an application called 'Activity monitor'. (In applications -> Utilities). That will tell you a) how much processor power your applications are using (storyist usually needs next to nothing in the background and very little when it's active) as well as whether your application hangs or whether it's just your computer in general that is unresponsive. (Both feel the same, subjectively.)

I have found Storyist relatively stable, but under Snow Leopard sometimes it freezes in sympathy with Safari - if I fix Safari, Storyist is back. Don't ask why...

I have found Storyist relatively stable, but under Snow Leopard sometimes it freezes in sympathy with Safari - if I fix Safari, Storyist is back. Don't ask why...

I've noticed any number of applications that seem to freeze in sympathy with Safari. I wonder if Safari uses some kind of shared system resource (HTML renderer or something?) that other applications also access, and when Safari wedges up it prevents other apps from accessing that shared resource. Steve, any ideas? (Maybe something like the pasteboard service?)

My Mac became this way for a while, and I suspect some sort of disk corruption because I replaced my hard drive with a larger one and the "fresh install -> restore apps and data" process made the problem completely go away. I also noticed a slight performance boost when I upgraded from SL to Lion, but not as much as I think Apple's marketing folks would have you believe.

Archived