Storyist Forums

One-click "paranoia" Dropbox sync/save

JSR

Hi, I'm very much a Storyist newbie but I'm organising my current 180K+ project into Storyist for iPad so that I can work on it away from my computer. I was trying to decide between Storyist and Manuscript, and it was Storyist that got my hard-earned pennies (mainly because of this wonderful forum).

One feature I would really like to see (if it's not already there, and I can't find it if it is), is a one-click save/export-to-Dropbox option on the "document editing" screen.

At the moment, I seem to have to come out of the document I'm editing and view the documents/folders so that I can hit "edit", select the document, perform the export to dropbox RTF, then click "Done", then click the document to open it again. At 180,000 words, the document takes a good few seconds to open again at this point. Then I have to pin my index cards back where they were before I can carry on working.

In short, it's quite a curfuffle to do this every time I want to save the document I'm working on back to Dropbox.

I know there is the "one-click sync" if I go out to the top level, but that doesn't do much to speed up the process. Ideally, there needs to be a button to save to Dropbox (either sync or export-to-rtf) on the editing screen, so there's no need to go out of the document to do the save/sync and then back into the document.

The reason for my concern is that I could be 3,000 words into a chapter only to have my iPad take a day off and shut down Storyist (it does this occasionally with other apps since iOS5), leaving me with a lot of lost work. When I'm writing on my PC, my paranoia has it that I hit CTRL+S every time I stop for breath (usually every two or three sentences, or a paragraph). That instantly saves the file to my Dropbox and I'm safe from any crashes or other problems.

Before Storyist, I was using Writings on my iPad, and this had the option available in a menu on the editing screen. Admittedly that only dealt with TXT files, but I would feel my work is much safer in Storyist if there was this one-click "paranoia" button on the editing screen - something I could click every few paragraphs without having to come out of the document.

Is this something that could be implemented?

Thanks for developing such a great app for the iPad!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve

I'm already doing that, but it's still too cumbersome.

I'm currently working on an 180,000 word document and it takes a full 15 seconds to open from the folders screen. To sync to Dropbox while working means going out of the document, out of the folders screen, and onto the "My Projects" screen. Then I can click the "one-tap sync" button. After which I then go back into the project's folders screen, click the project, wait 15 seconds for it to open, and then I can continue working.

This is several taps and up to half a minute every time I want to save the work to Dropbox. That's a lot more than just one-tap to save what I'm working on.

Is there anything that can be done to improve this save-to-Dropbox in a future release?

Thanks for your attention on this.

Hi Maury,

Congrats on getting to the last chapter.

In addition to the one button sync option on the My Projects page, Storyist does autosave (to your iPad) ever two minutes and every time you leave a file or sheet.

-Steve

In addition to the one button sync option on the My Projects page, Storyist does autosave (to your iPad) ever two minutes and every time you leave a file or sheet.

-Steve

If I trusted the iPad to keep my work safe, I wouldn't be paranoid in the first place... :D

Do I take it from this that there won't be any other "quicker" save-to-Dropbox implemented in future versions?

I guess I'll just have to carry on using Writings for doing the actual novel-writing, and copy & paste it back into Storyist when assembling it into the main work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I would probably +1 this as well.

I've never had the iPad lose a file yet, but a simple 'sync save' button on the document you're currently working on would ease a lot of concerns.

Even if it's only a background shortcut that syncs your entire Storyist folder the same way it does when you're on your Documents screen in the app. Doesn't need to just sync the one document you're working on if that's too complicated.

Would just be simpler than exiting your document to sync at the documents screen...

Archived