Storyist Forums

How do I transfer my writing from my iPad to my iMac?

Joe

Hi, I would. Like to know how to get a manuscript I'm working on in my iPad over to my Mac to where my main story is in development?

I love writing on my iPad but when I need to get what I wrote on my manuscript, I I have to write it out, copying from my iPad to my Mac. There has got To be a better way? Cloud doesn't seam to work. Can someone please tell me how to accomplish this?

Thank you, Joe

Hi, Nathan, and welcome to the forums!

The short answer is to export your file from the iPad to iTunes, then attach the iPad to your Mac and transfer the file. Exactly how you do this depends on whether you have Storyist on your Mac.

1. If you do have Storyist on your Mac, make sure you are in the top level of Storyist for iPad, where it says New Project at top left and shows a list of projects you are working on. Tap Edit. Tap the project you want to copy. Tap the button at the topmost left (not the trash can, but the one with the arrow!). Choose Copy to iTunes and tap on the Storyist icon that appears. When you go to iTunes with your iPad connected, click on Apps and scroll down till you see the Storyist icon. Click on it. Your file will appear and you can drag it to the Desktop or wherever you like.

2. If you do not have Storyist on your Mac, then you need to export to RTF instead. From the window with the New Project button, tap on your project, then the Manuscript folder. Follow the rest of the directions in 1, but tap on your manuscript before choosing Copy to iTunes and choose RTF. Most Mac programs can read RTF files. Some are civilized, like Word, and respect the Storyist styles. Others, like Pages, keep the formatting but nuke the styles.

You can also copy to Dropbox, if you have a Dropbox account, by using either of these methods but choosing Copy to Dropbox instead of Copy to iTunes. The file will then show up in the Dropbox folder on your Mac. You can set up one-tap syncing with Dropbox, too.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Nathan,

In addition to iTunes and Dropbox, which Marguerite mentioned, you can also use email. The "Printing and Sharing Your Work" section of the User's Guide has instructions on how to do this.

-Steve

Thank you, Marguerite & Steve, for your replies. I do have Storyist on my Mac and I will try your suggestions. My time is limited at the moment, but I will, hopefully, get to it later today. I Work three jobs, but two are by my own schedule, so I always sneek in some writing time. If I have any more problems, I will visit again.

Your speedy reply and your shearing of knowledge is greatly appreciated...

Thank you both very much,

Joe

• 11 months later...

Is there a way to have Storyist on the Mac sync with Dropbox in the same way the iPad does? I really like the iPad app and have Dropbox set up to sync with the iPad. Wondering if there is a better way to have my files the same on the Mac as the latest in Dropbox (synced with the iPad for the latest changes or vice versa) than copying the file in Dropbox back onto my Mac writing folder?

I don't have Dropbox set up as my "save to" source from the Mac, keep that on the hard drive ( and external backups), just too paranoid to have my only source files in the cloud :D .

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Storyist for Mac doesn't automatically copy files from a location outside your Dropbox folder to the Dropbox folder, so you'll need to do this manually.

Note that Storyist for Mac does make automatic local backups (if you don't turn the feature off), so if you kept your project in your Dropbox folder, you'd also have local backups. To find local backups for a project, open the project and choose File > Backups.

-Steve

Archived