Storyist Forums

Substitute smart quotes/apostrophes?

KevinMc

So shortly after getting my shiny new ipad, I grabbed this app. Haven't been disappointed so far, overall seems like the best writing app out there. What I was looking for was a tool which would create the best possible professional workflow from my typed work into LibreOffice for tweaks before converting to ebook and PDF for publication. Storyist is doing this well; RTF seems to be functioning as a pretty decent tool for the job.

But. =)

I'd really like to have smart quotes as a front screen option for the keyboard. I've experimented with the tools, and by going to page two of the virtual keyboard, pressing the quote button and sliding up, I can get smart quotes. Those smart quotes DO work fine on the Storyist screen, DO save to RTF just fine, and are readable from the exported RTF in Word and LibreOffice.

So, any way we can get an option in the tools to substitute smart quotes when we hit the " button on the extended keyboard bar? That would be awesome. Giving Storyist smart quotes (and true apostrophes as well, those also work the same way but are not the default) would still be a time saver.

Unless I am missing something and this is already an option somewhere, in which case, help! =)

Agreed. I would love this feature for both text and notes in the iPad version, just as we have it in Storyist for Mac. A single preference setting would be great, since I use straight quotes hardly ever and the sliding over/waiting/sliding up left or right gets old real fast.

Welcome, KevinMc!

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks, Marguerite!

I've got a workaround. Export to rtf, open the rtf in Word, and you can "replace all" of the basic quotes with curly quotes. I think it works with smart apostrophes as well, but need to do some testing.

Definitely my vote for something in an upcoming release.

Other than that, working very wel for me so far. I'll definitely be mentioning it to NaNo folks; I'm the ML for Vermont, so I hang out there a lot during "active times". ;)

You can replace them in Storyist for Mac, if you have it. You can set smart quotes there by default and either hunt/peck or use Find/Replace. At worst, you have to enter the key combination in the replace field (Option -[ or Option-Shift-[ for double quotations and Option-], Option-Shift-] for singles).

I've gotten pretty slick with the slide, pause, select, but it would be nice to be able to set the extended keyboard for smart quotes. Good feature request.

Best,

M

Archived