Storyist Forums

Short Story Template

pjl

Here's a short story template I just whipped up for use with Storyist. Please feel free to test this and leave me any suggestions.

Hi PJ.

A thousand words is indeed a short short story. But I'm sure that was just a suggestion. And on the topic of suggestions (since you asked) you might consider filling out the other Storyist elements with the standard suggestions: protagonist and antagonist placeholders for Character; some of the standard short story plot parts (Sections?).

What are the standard short story parts, you ask? I suppose that's up to you since it's your template. I've seen the following list of short story parts: Motivation (e.g., Mom, Dad, we gotta get some food), Conflict (e.g., stay home or face the cold cruel world alone), Complication (what would a story be without complications), Suspense (e.g., Oh golly gosh they're gonna eat me), Climax, Outcome, Denouement (e.g., And the happy cannibal family never went hungry again). Sounds a little like The Hero's Journey, doesn't it.

Thanks for the template.

-Thoth.

Thanks for the tips.

I wouldn't know where to start with an outline for a short story, they vary so greatly and some of they don't even have plots. Take a typical Ray Bradbury story and compare it to a Kurt Vonnegut tale....chalk and cheese, although they may contain some separate elements underlying both. I could maybe fold in the Lester Dent outline into this, as it's the only specific guide I've ever seen on short stories.

Lots to think about :)

Thanks for the tips.

I wouldn't know where to start with an outline for a short story, they vary so greatly and some of they don't even have plots. Take a typical Ray Bradbury story and compare it to a Kurt Vonnegut tale....chalk and cheese, although they may contain some separate elements underlying both. I could maybe fold in the Lester Dent outline into this, as it's the only specific guide I've ever seen on short stories.

Lots to think about :)

Then again...

“Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.”

-Ray Bradbury (on writing short stories).

Then again...

“Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.”

-Ray Bradbury (on writing short stories).

Ahhh, that always brings a smile to my face. He's my writing hero. Another one of his, loosely paraphrased:

Plot is just the prints left in the snow after your characters have passed by.

Oh, how I wish I had that kind of brain :)

Ahhh, that always brings a smile to my face. He's my writing hero. Another one of his, loosely paraphrased:

Plot is just the prints left in the snow after your characters have passed by.

Oh, how I wish I had that kind of brain :)

Indeed. The Greats make it look so effortless.

If you're interested in a more studied approach to Bradbury's works and approach to writing, they are documented in the film "Ray Bradbury: Story of a Writer" (1963) by Terry Sanders and Ray Bradbury (then a still vigorous 43). The DVD is currently available on Amazon.com for $29.95.

-Thoth.

Indeed. The Greats make it look so effortless.

If you're interested in a more studied approach to Bradbury's works and approach to writing, they are documented in the film "Ray Bradbury: Story of a Writer" (1963) by Terry Sanders and Ray Bradbury (then a still vigorous 43). The DVD is currently available on Amazon.com for $29.95.

-Thoth.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to get that ordered. Been working on a Lester Dent Pulp Fction Template for storyist and here

it is, in all its two-fisted pulpy glory: Lester_Dent_Pulp_Fiction_Master_Template.story

Let me know what you think :)

NOTE: This won't be to everybody's tastes, but it might work out for some -- I've tried to be gender equal as much as possible considering the source material. :)

...Been working on a Lester Dent Pulp Fction Template for storyist...Let me know what you think....

Yes. I definitely see a Doc Savage story outlined here. Actually, I think I see all of them outlined here. Bravo.

...This won't be to everybody's tastes, but it might work out for some...

True. Our more romance-minded forum members (I'm looking at you My Lady M) will probably balk at the testosterone levels of this particular flavor of pulp fiction. Perhaps if you slap a picture of cover-boy model Fabio Lanzoni over the Character sheet icon they might go for it.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

-Thoth.

Yes. I definitely see a Doc Savage story outlined here. Actually, I think I see all of them outlined here. Bravo.

True. Our more romance-minded forum members (I'm looking at you My Lady M) will probably balk at the testosterone levels of this particular flavor of pulp fiction. Perhaps if you slap a picture of cover-boy model Fabio Lanzoni over the Character sheet icon they might go for it.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

-Thoth.

Not at all. Y'll are welcome to write whatever you like on your own time. It was the group project I was trying to render tolerable for the estrogen-loaded 51%. (By the way, PJL, we are still awaiting your input on the group project in the "General Topics" forum. Callista's, too, but she hasn't posted in weeks, with one exception. Please, stop Isaac's Superchimp before he takes over!)

Besides, I spend every free minute hanging around with a 6'3" blond hunk distinguished by his excellence in the manly art of dueling, so who am I to talk? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the template, PJL.

Marguerite

Not at all. Y'll are welcome to write whatever you like on your own time. It was the group project I was trying to render tolerable for the estrogen-loaded 51%. (By the way, PJL, we are still awaiting your input on the group project in the "General Topics" forum. Callista's, too, but she hasn't posted in weeks, with one exception. Please, stop Isaac's Superchimp before he takes over!)

Besides, I spend every free minute hanging around with a 6'3" blond hunk distinguished by his excellence in the manly art of dueling, so who am I to talk? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the template, PJL.

Marguerite

I'll be joining in very soon. I've been away from the boards since my beloved Mac decided to kick me in the unmentionables and had a meltdown, so I've been in the hinterland of Windows XP for awhile. And a Superchimp? Intriguing, I must find out more :blink:

Oh and I'm not sure if this is the place to mention it, but the import function has saved me a lot of hassle in the last few days. Had to work in Office 2007 while I've been on XP and the .doc files imported into Storyist without a hitch. Thanks, Steve.

...And a Superchimp? Intriguing, I must find out more :blink:

Mwahaha! One more for the testosterone side of the teeter-totter. :rolleyes:

Oh who* shall come to your rescue, Lady M.

Twirling mustache evilly.

-Thoth.

*Perhaps this will bring Calli out of hiding.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I did this template, copied it to the right folder, it shows up in Storyist, but when I click on it or try CHOOSE, I get a window that says "Cannot complete operation, no further information available."

Hi Bill, and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sorry your first interaction here is about a possible bug.

I never got a "Cannot complete operation, no further information available" message from Storyist. And you say you got this by clicking Choose in the template window? Did you "copy" this new template to the Template folder or "Save As Template" from Storyist?

Either way, this sounds like something Steve should see. Could you send him a PM with the template file attacked? (See "My Controls" for forum e-mail. The template should be in ~Library>Application Support>Storyist>Templates, assuming you're running a Mac OS.)

-Thoth.

Hi, Thoth, and thanks for replying.

The files is ZIPped. UnZIPing it creates a new folder called Short Story.Story. In that are several files. I move that to the Templates folder. When I open Storyist, the Short Story template is there, but when I click on it, or hit "Choose", I get that message.

I would try the "Save as Template", but can't get anything in the ZIP file to open in Storyist.

I am BRAND NEW to Mac, so I'm betting the error is between Keyboard and Chair...:D

Hi Bill, and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sorry your first interaction here is about a possible bug.

I never got a "Cannot complete operation, no further information available" message from Storyist. And you say you got this by clicking Choose in the template window? Did you "copy" this new template to the Template folder or "Save As Template" from Storyist?

Either way, this sounds like something Steve should see. Could you send him a PM with the template file attacked? (See "My Controls" for forum e-mail. The template should be in ~Library>Application Support>Storyist>Templates, assuming you're running a Mac OS.)

-Thoth.

Hi, Thoth, and thanks for replying.

The files is ZIPped. UnZIPing it creates a new folder called Short Story.Story. In that are several files. I move that to the Templates folder. When I open Storyist, the Short Story template is there, but when I click on it, or hit "Choose", I get that message.

I would try the "Save as Template", but can't get anything in the ZIP file to open in Storyist.

I am BRAND NEW to Mac, so I'm betting the error is between Keyboard and Chair...:D

Hi, and welcome--

It sounds as though you've unzipped the file unnecessarily. Each .story file is actually a folder containing multiple files, and I'm guessing that Storyist is reacting to not finding the combined file that it expects.

If you click on the Short Story template from PJ's link, you should get a file on your desktop ending with the .story extension (if your Mac Finder is set to show extensions. If not, go to Finder/Preferences/Advanced and click next to "Always show file extensions.") You copy that .story file to /Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates and you should be fine.

If the file displays with a .zip extension, then you have a different problem. But I don't recall that template being zipped.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi, Marguerite-

Okay, I've done the following:

Deleted the original file.

Done a Repair Permissions from Disk Utilities

Re-downloaded the file; I'm not sure why, but when I click on the link, it does indeed download a ZIP file.

Unzip and it gives me a folder called SHORT STORY.STORY In that folder are files: contents.rdf , a folder called IMAGES, a file called preferences.rdf, a file called story.rdf, and a file called story.xml. I move then entire folder to Library/Application Data/Storyist/Templates. When I open Storyist, it shows the Short Story template, but when I choose it, I get the message as above.

Driving me nuts......

Hi, and welcome--

It sounds as though you've unzipped the file unnecessarily. Each .story file is actually a folder containing multiple files, and I'm guessing that Storyist is reacting to not finding the combined file that it expects.

If you click on the Short Story template from PJ's link, you should get a file on your desktop ending with the .story extension (if your Mac Finder is set to show extensions. If not, go to Finder/Preferences/Advanced and click next to "Always show file extensions.") You copy that .story file to <your user id>/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates and you should be fine.

If the file displays with a .zip extension, then you have a different problem. But I don't recall that template being zipped.

Best,

Marguerite

AH-HA!

As I suspected, the error was User Related....:D

I was downloading the FIRST link. When I saw the SECOND link, I clicked that, which brought down the .STORY file and now all is working perfectly!

Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Hi, Marguerite-

Re-downloaded the file; I'm not sure why, but when I click on the link, it does indeed download a ZIP file.

Unzip and it gives me a folder called SHORT STORY.STORY In that folder are files: contents.rdf , a folder called IMAGES, a file called preferences.rdf, a file called story.rdf, and a file called story.xml. I move then entire folder to Library/Application Data/Storyist/Templates. When I open Storyist, it shows the Short Story template, but when I choose it, I get the message as above.

Driving me nuts......

Hi, Marguerite-

Driving me nuts......

Yes, those are the contents of any .story file. You don't see an icon on the desk called Short Story.story, displaying the Storyist logo? If so, you don't need to unzip that file.

When I click on the links, that's what I see on my desktop (Storyist 1.3.6, Mac OS 10.4.11).

What happens if you rezip the file through Terminal and move the results to the Templates folder?

I'm at the edges of my technical expertise here, so you may want to wait for Steve Shepard, the developer, to weigh in, especially if you're new to Macs. But in brief, Terminal (in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder) allows you to connect directly to the Unix underpinnings of OS X. In this case, it's probably preferable to going through, say, Aladdin's DropZip. But beware of typos in Unix!

Here are Steve's instructions for rezipping the file:

Make a backup of the story file you will be editing.

Open a terminal window.

Use the "cd" command to change to the directory that contains your story file.

Execute "zip -r ShortStory.story *"

If that seems like a problematic idea, Steve will have a better understanding of what's happening and, most likely, better suggestions for fixing it.

Best,

M

Wow, Marguerite. THANK YOU for all that info; I didn't mean for anyone to go to all that trouble...:D

FYI, anyone else: download from the link that says SHORT STORY.STORY. *DO NOT* download from the first link given.

Works like a charm...:)

M, see thread post #18.

-Thoth.

(This happens to me all the time.)

AH-HA!

As I suspected, the error was User Related....:D

I was downloading the FIRST link. When I saw the SECOND link, I clicked that, which brought down the .STORY file and now all is working perfectly!

Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Hi William,

I'm happy it worked out.

Quick question: When you downloaded the template using the first link, did your browser rename the story file (which has the extension ".story") to have the ".zip" extension?

I've seen several cases where download tools are too helpful by half and rename the story file after inspecting the contents and finding that it is actually just a zip archive.

-Steve

Hey Steve-

Sorry to be all this bother on a Sunday, but I have to say, you guys knocked me out with the time and effort you put in to helping me. Hopefully, one day, I can "pay it forward"...:D

Here's what happened:

Clicking on the first link took me to: http://www.mediafire.com/?driza31d0b2

Big letters tells me CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Do so, and you recieve a file called SHORT STORY.STORY.ZIP

Open the ZIP (I scanned it, it appeared to be clean and virus free), and in that is an entire folder with a .STORY extension. Moving that into the Template folder shows it in Storyist, but trying to open it fails.

Downloading from the SECOND link brings in a file SHORT STORY.STORY, with the Storyist icon. Move THAT into Templates, and it works like a charm.

If only I could download "Creativity" so easy.....:)

Hi William,

I'm happy it worked out.

Quick question: When you downloaded the template using the first link, did your browser rename the story file (which has the extension ".story") to have the ".zip" extension?

I've seen several cases where download tools are too helpful by half and rename the story file after inspecting the contents and finding that it is actually just a zip archive.

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Archived