Storyist Forums

Footnote/references

Shandor

New to storyist and frankly writing. I'm an engineer with two books and one sequel in my head that have been bothering me, trying to get out. I finally gave in and am going to give a shot to writing them. One is a thriller and other is kind of a light hearted historical journey. We'll find out if I am funny enough to pull off the second one.

Anyway, I'm accustomed to supporting my contentions (writing science papers will do that to you) and both of the books I want to write are science and history related! So I want to give the reader some way to "check my work". If you have ever read a Micheal Chricton book you will know what I mean. Whatever you think about his writing or his claims in his books, I liked the method by which the book seemed more solid by having references.

I only have the iPad version of storyist (you are awesome for making that step! It is why I went with storyist) so maybe I am missing something, but is there a way to get automatically numbered (and super scripted) footnotes or chapter references? It seems like a major feature and I don't really see much about it covered in these forums.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Shandor, and welcome to the forums!

There is currently no way to get automatic footnote creation or numbering or automatic chapter numbering in any version of Storyist. Both feature requests have been made before, and automatic chapter numbering has been an ongoing request for quite a while (you can search for the previous discussions—I don't have time at the moment to track them down). I agree that it would be useful.

Automatic footnote creation would certainly expand the reach of Storyist, which would be a good thing, in my view. Although I use Storyist mostly for fiction, its ePub/MOBI creation is so superior to that of InDesign or Pages that I would love footnote support just so I could import academic files and create ePub versions from them.

Not sure when either feature will appear, however. Only Steve can answer that one!

Best,

Marguerite

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marguerite, I am using storyist to write fiction also. Its the ipad version that sold me. But this lack of footnotes, endnotes, or linkable references really burns me up. Some of the appeal of what I am writing is that most of the facts in the story are real, and I want people to be able to look up aspects of the story that interest them.

Lack of chapter numbering doesnt really bother me, but I can see how it may be annoying if you want to insert a new chapter in the middle of the book.

is there a list of features that are definitely being worked on and will be seen in a next version?

• 1 year later...

I agree with the need for footnotes/endnotes/references etc and even an index option for a writing programme. I had not realised that these functions were absent on the iPad until I started writing.

I wanted to use this app to write up our family histories but without these options this app is not suitable. That is really disappointing.

I suppose I may use it as a text editor and wait until Scrivener brings out the iPad app but I have things like Pages and PlainText etc already! Frustrating - I had started to like this app!

• 1 year later...

I agree with the need for footnotes/endnotes/references etc and even an index option for a writing programme. I had not realised that these functions were absent on the iPad until I started writing.

I wanted to use this app to write up our family histories but without these options this app is not suitable. That is really disappointing.

I suppose I may use it as a text editor and wait until Scrivener brings out the iPad app but I have things like Pages and PlainText etc already! Frustrating - I had started to like this app!

Ditto

I hadn't realised until I migrated my current project into Storyist

I am doing 90% of my work on an iPad and therefore dropped Scrivener in favour of Storyist

I would dearly love to see these

My workaround is to put everything into comments for now and then to export back to scrivener once my final draft is done to fix indexing and footnotes/references/bibliography .... not really a solution or something .... and not really a recommendation for the app which is so great in so many other ways!

• 8 months later...

Hi Steve,

I just wanted to add my vote for a footnote/endnote function in Storyist. I need to write a scholarly paper based on creative work I have been composing in Storyist, and unfortunately the lack of this functionality means I have to work in dreaded Word. I appreciate that Storyist is really structured for literary media, but needless to say, for all kinds of reasons, citations would be a key, if not essential, asset to what is otherwise the very best writing software.

• 2 months later...

Hello

I've the same issue. I'm used to write historic novels, with plenty of footnotes. To replace the missing function, I'm using a markdown syntaxe as "(* Text of the note )" or {FN Text of the note}

It's not very convenient, because I have to work on Ulysse or other markdown editor to replace the marks, but it works.

I hope Storyist will consider the need of this very simple function for a next version.

If an administrator of this forum could give us his opinion on this, it would be nice.

rds

O.G.

• 1 year later...

Well, it is 2017, and still no end noting/footnoting. I'm working on a book here where I need to make footnotes for references. I like how storyist works, how easy it is to use, and that it syncs so effortlessly on the iPad which is where I do most of my writing now, but I need the footnoting....and an indexing would be really nice as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...