Storyist Forums

One-tap Sync takes forever?

Hi domisimone,

If you're using the 1-tap sync feature, then Storyist transfers all of your changed files when you tap, so you'd potentially be transferring more than 40k. If you tap the info ("i") button on the sync dialog, you'll see which files are being transferred and what the status is.

Dropbox does occasionally have issues with slow performance, but there are usually either temporary or geographical in nature. Without knowing more about your current setup its hard to say what is going on, but there are some things to consider:

1. If you're using a cell connection for your network, it could be that you're having signal strength issues. How many bars do you usually get?
  2. If you're using a WiFi connection, you could be behind a firewall that blocks or de-prioritizes Dropbox traffic. If you're at work, check with your network administrator.
  3. If you're updating a lot of information frequently, you could be running into Dropbox's rate limit, which tries to prevent people from taking too much bandwidth.

If you can provide more info, I'd be happy to suggest something.

-Steve

Hi,

When I click on the info button, it expands but the box below is always empty. I use cellular data, and always get five bars. I only use my Dropbox for storyist, and I haven't saved very much information in storyist either.

When the original sync took a while, I brushed it off. But now there are times when I've written less than a thousand words before I update Dropbox and it still takes just as much time.

Thanks,

Simone

Hi Simone,

OK, let me ask you some questions.

1. What country are you syncing from?
  2. What carrier provides your cell service?
  3. How big is the project you're syncing? Each time you sync, the whole project is transferred, even if you only change a thousand words or so. If you've got a lot of images in the project, it could take some time.
  4. What happens when you sync using another app? You mentioned that you're only using Dropbox for Storyist. It would be helpful to know what performance you see using another app. Try syncing a similarly sized file from Dropbox or PlainText.

-Steve

Hi,

I'm syncing from the U.S.A.

My carrier is AT&T.

My project contains some story sheets, my main document, and about ten other documents that are all less than a thousand words.

When I import a similarly sized file from Dropbox to my iPad, it's done in seconds.

-Simone

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to tempt the hounds of fate, but mine syncs over WiFi in no time flat, and I have big files (125,000-word novel with lots of images, sheets, etc.; 85,000-word novel, ditto). I wonder if it's not a Storyist problem but something else. Or it is a Storyist problem but one that is specific to a certain setup?

In any case, it definitely doesn't affect everyone. I have a "new" iPad now, but I never had any trouble syncing my iPad 1 either. I'm not a programmer, so I can't begin to guess what the issue might be, but sometimes you can clear weird memory-related issues by resetting the iPad: basically, holding the on/off switch down until the red line appears and shutting it down, waiting a few minutes, then holding down the on/off switch until you see the Apple logo appear on screen. That worked for me when iBooks went into a tizzy and crashed every time I accessed the store.

I also quit Storyist every night before putting my iPad to sleep. That may help, too.

Sympathies. Must be very nerve-racking.

M

Okay, i restarted my iPad and here's what happened:

The first time I tried to sync, it said it was unable to connect to Dropbox. I physically opened the Dropbox app and tried it again. Then, it renamed the version of the project on my iPad and imported the version from Dropbox, as if there were conflicting versions of the file. I think storyist and Dropbox aren't recognizing that it's the same file, as this happens to me often when I only edit my files on my iPad so it's always the same documents with edits.

I deleted the old version of the file and renamed the new one, then pressed the sync button again so Dropbox would recognize which version of the file I wished to keep. Now it's frozen again. The bar just isn't moving, though it says that it's uploading the files.

What's wrong with it?

Hi domisimone,

Okay, i restarted my iPad and here's what happened:

The first time I tried to sync, it said it was unable to connect to Dropbox.

If your iPad was unable to connect to Dropbox, there is a network issue somewhere between your iPad and the Dropbox service. When you start a sync, a message goes from Storyist > iOS > your local WiFi base station > a series of network nodes > the Dropbox servers and a reply is sent back.

Possible reasons to be unable to connect to Dropbox include:

• If you're using WiFI, your local WiFi might be overloaded or misconfigured. You sometimes run into this at a busy coffee shop, for instance.
  • If you're using cell service for internet, it could be that the you've got a weak signal, which would cause some of these messages to be dropped.
  • Your ISP is blocking or rate limiting Dropbox traffic. You might run into this if you live in a country like China that filters its internet traffic or have an ISP that is trying to crack down on illegal file sharing and mis-identifies Dropbox as a peer-to-peer file sharing network. See the post title "Dropbox is incredibly slow" in the Dropbox forums for an example of this.
  • There is a problem at one of the network nodes problem that prevents packets from reaching a geographic area. This would happen if a trunk like was severed, and would persist until the network was able to route around the problem.
  • Dropbox is rate limiting or refusing the network connection.

Since the problem seems to be intermittent for you, I suspect the problem is the local network. You mentioned that you've got AT&T. Is this WiFi or cell? If WiFi, are you accessing from home? If so, are there other devices on the network (computers, TiVos, etc...) that may be downloading large files or streaming music or video?

To check, you can use the Speedtest.net app to test the network performance. This won't tell you if Dropbox is rate limiting or refusing the network connect, but it will test your local net and the cross country upload/download times. Make sure you select a server in San Francisco for the test.

I physically opened the Dropbox app and tried it again. Then, it renamed the version of the project on my iPad and imported the version from Dropbox, as if there were conflicting versions of the file. I think storyist and Dropbox aren't recognizing that it's the same file, as this happens to me often when I only edit my files on my iPad so it's always the same documents with edits.

I deleted the old version of the file and renamed the new one, then pressed the sync button again so Dropbox would recognize which version of the file I wished to keep. Now it's frozen again. The bar just isn't moving, though it says that it's uploading the files.

What's wrong with it?

You mentioned above that you sometimes force-quit the app while it is syncing. This could cause Storyist to "forget" the sync information it has collected. If it does, the next time it syncs, it needs to assume that you're syncing for the first time, so it will rename the local version and download the Dropbox version so you can choose one.

-Steve

Okay.

I have AT&T for my wifi and my cellular data plan. There are no other computers on my wifi. My server and my wifi, which I sometimes use, have no security settings, meaning that they can't possibly be trying to crack down on Dropbox.

I've had storyist open since my last post, and the bar is still frozen in place.

Even when I haven't force quit storyist and have chosen which file I would like to keep, it repeats the process all over again by making me choose a file to keep.

Archived