Storyist Forums

Trying out the demo: problems

Maury

I admit it. I'm not the most savvy computer folk around. I wrote an entire book on the IPAD version of Storyist and worked great. Now, I am thinking of using the full version on my IMAC instead of Scrivener, which transfered the novel from dropbox without a glitch, by the way. Anyhow, I started a new project and imported the novel from dropbox. But as I wrote it in Spanish, the text in front of me is full of strange symbols where the accentuated letters should be. Also, the dictionary won't underline misspelled words like the IPAD did without problems!

Why? Can anyone help?

Cheers

Hi Maury,

Congrats on finishing the book.

If you'll let me know a little more about how you imported the file from the iPad, I can probably suggest something. It sounds like you wrote in RTF on the iPad, created a new project on the Mac and then imported the RTF file from the iPad. Is that correct? If so, did you edit the RTF file with any other editors before opening it in Storyist for Mac?

As for the spell checker, can you describe the problems? Storyist for Mac uses the spellchecker and dictionary that Apple provide. If it looks like the spell checker is not correctly recognizing misspelled words, check to make sure the spell checker language is set to the language of the document. You can do that by launching Storyist and choosing Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar.

-Steve

Hi! Yes, I saved the files as Rtf and uploaded them to dropbox. I created a new project, chose "novel" format, and downloaded the rtf file from dropbok there. The doc doesn't underline misspelled words and has some weird symbols where the accents should be, for example, say, instead of Andrés it appears Andr^¥~<es

Thanks

Hi Maury,

The doc doesn't underline misspelled words

Make sure spell checking is enabled. To do so, choose Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing.

and has some weird symbols where the accents should be, for example, say, instead of Andrés it appears Andr^¥~

Which version of Storyist and OS X are you running? I just tried to reproduce this here with Storyist for iPad 1.2, Storyist for Mac 2.4 and OS X 10.7.4. If you'd like, you can email a short excerpt of the RTF that exhibits the problem to the support address and I'll take a look for you.

-Steve

Hi Maury, Make sure spell checking is enabled. To do so, choose Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing. Which version of Storyist and OS X are you running? I just tried to reproduce this here with Storyist for iPad 1.2, Storyist for Mac 2.4 and OS X 10.7.4. If you'd like, you can email a short excerpt of the RTF that exhibits the problem to the support address and I'll take a look for you. -Steve

Well, call me stupid. I just tried it again and now all seems well. One thing, it will not underline spelling errors from the document imported from dropbox. Only if I start typing new text, the program will recognize misspelled words.

Hi Maury,

One thing, it will not underline spelling errors from the document imported from dropbox. Only if I start typing new text, the program will recognize misspelled words.

To spell-check an entire document, choose Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Check Document Now.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new user and I like what I see so far. BUT whenever I delete anything, the application closes. It is becoming a pain. I am using the demo and perhaps this is the issue, but I am not going to buy it unless I find out if it's me or it> I use a Macbook pro and Lion. Any clues? Thanks

Hi Sylvia,

When Storyist crashes, it offers to send a crash report. Please send the crash report along with a note letting me know it's you (the crash reports are otherwise anonymous) and I'll take a look right away.

Any information about how the screen was configured when it crashed would be very helpful.

-Steve

Archived