Storyist Forums

Happy Father's Day

Steve E

Thanks.

But how did you know about Steve's son?

And why did you describe Marguerite (in your book) as Oberon* with better hair? It's been eating at me.

-T

* King of the fairies in A Midsummer's Night Dream and a dwarf in some French poetry. :wacko:

I knew about Steve because he posted on Facebook.

Drat that Facebook! It mocks me.

Oberon with better hair? I swear, I know every word in that book, and I don't remember Oberon. Missing the joke. :(

Please explain. Sorry to be dense. Long day.

Page 72: Yikes! Marguerite was stunning. If you can conceive of Oberon with blue eyes and red-gold curls tumbling past her waist, you can approximate the reflection I saw in the mirror. ...

But of course you meant Merle Oberon, who played Marguerite in the 1934 film, and not the fairy king. :rolleyes:

I very much like your new slant on total immersion VR. There are many possibilities here, as I'm sure you know. Do you think you will be writing a "Not Exactly" series where Nina becomes a full-time VR adventurer? (Nice work for a history major. Better than hosting museum tours.)

By the way, I was impressed that you knew the necessary orbital altitude of geostationary telecommunication satellites (22,236 miles). Impressed, but not surprised.

You may soon become my favorite geek writer. :wub:

-T

Yes, yes, I remembered this morning that I had mentioned Merle Oberon. You got it. There she is above—beautiful, if not a redhead (maybe brunette looks better on a black-and-white screen?).

Thanks! I did originally plan this as a series focused on Dreamlife, but I haven't yet found the right angle for a sequel. After a bunch of false starts, I began working on Lynx, and since I have at least a vague idea for all five books in that series, it's going to keep me occupied for a while. But you never know. I do have the sense that Ian and Nina will put their history Ph.D.'s to good use by cashing in on the VR business. :)

Yes, a friend told me about the orbital altitude of satellites years ago. His point at the time was that the rate for calling, say, Antarctica should be the same as calling New York, since the distance is exactly the same (up to the satellite and back). Somehow it stuck in the bizarre collection of data that is my brain.

Aw, you say the nicest things! :D

M

Yes, yes, I remembered this morning that I had mentioned Merle Oberon. ...

Well, you did say that it was a long day and you were tired. No worries.

Thanks! I did originally plan this as a series focused on Dreamlife, but I haven't yet found the right angle for a sequel. After a bunch of false starts, I began working on Lynx, and since I have at least a vague idea for all five books in that series, it's going to keep me occupied for a while. But you never know. I do have the sense that Ian and Nina will put their history Ph.D.'s to good use by cashing in on the VR business. :)

You have the whole rest of your life to work things out. Writers tend to write well into old age.

Yes, a friend told me about the orbital altitude of satellites years ago. His point at the time was that the rate for calling, say, Antarctica should be the same as calling New York, since the distance is exactly the same (up to the satellite and back). Somehow it stuck in the bizarre collection of data that is my brain.

An old friend, who had once worked for Bell Labs, explained to me how the billing system really worked. Bottom line: it's really about personnel costs; amortization of property; city, state and national fees (everyone wants a piece of the action); cost of maintenance and construction (like the cost of launching a satellite); and whatever they think people will let them get away with (e.g., you're billed for receiving a bill). But most people are willing to accept being charged by zones.

Aw, you say the nicest things! :D

You give me every reason, Lady M.

-Thoth

Archived