Storyist Forums

Ruined Formatting and Missing Scenes

domisimone

So, it's hard to believe but I've had yet another problem with storyist:

I figured out my problems with Dropbox, and I've been backing up my files, and I've only edited my project on my iPad--there is only ONE version of it. So I quick-synced, and when I opened the document I was missing a whole chapter (that I had just added since the last sync, so it isn't in Dropbox now) and my entire document returned to "default format".

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I've had way too many problems using this program.

Hi domisimone,

I figured out my problems with Dropbox, and I've been backing up my files, and I've only edited my project on my iPad--there is only ONE version of it.

I'm glad you resolved the Dropbox issues. In another post, you mentioned that you were getting network errors and slow sync times. Out of curiosity, what was the solution?

So I quick-synced, and when I opened the document I was missing a whole chapter (that I had just added since the last sync, so it isn't in Dropbox now) and my entire document returned to "default format".

So it sounds like the sequence was:

1. Sync with Dropbox.
  2. Write a chapter.
  3. Sync with Dropbox.

When you say the document returned to the "default format," do you mean that you had made formatting changes between step 1 and step 3 in addition to writing the chapter? If so, is the version on your iPad perhaps the same version that is in Dropbox (which you saved in step 1)?

It's hard to know what is going on without more info, but you mentioned that you had force-quitted the app a couple of times during sync, which could cause the sync information on your iPad to be in an inconsistent state. One thing to try would be reinstalling the app.

To do this:

1. Make sure all of your Storyist projects are backed-up.
  2. Navigate to the iPad home screen.
  3. Press and hold the Storyist icon until the icons start dancing and the Delete button (X) appears.
  4. Tap the Delete button in the upper left corner of the Storyist icon.
  5. Reinstall the Storyist app from the App Store.

Also, there are a couple of other ways to get projects to and from your iPad. If one-tap sync is giving you trouble, you might have better luck with one of these methods:

1. Copy to/from Dropbox. You can always transfer individual files to and from Dropbox by tapping the Edit button on the My Projects screen, selecting your project(s) and tapping Export.
  2. Copy to/from iTunes. If you want to skip Dropbox entirely, you could use iTunes to transfer your files.
  3. Email your projects. This is more cumbersome if you're transferring files on a regular basis, but you can use email to transfer your files.

-Steve

Hi,

My problems with Dropbox seemed to solve themselves--I went on to sync and it worked! I have my entire novel in "section text" and it returned to "default format". The version in Dropbox (as well as every past version) was also saved as "section text", so there's no way it was a past version. If it was a past version, that only explains half the problem.

--Simone

Hi Simone,

Could you tell me more about (or post a screenshot of) the the text formatted in the "default format?" If you edit a text file in Storyist for Mac to use a font that isn't available on iPad, you'd see Helvetica when you open it in iPad. Is this perhaps what you're seeing?

I'd be happy to take a look at your project file if you'd like.

-Steve

I've only ever edited my file on my iPad, but the text still returned to Helvetica. I don't have a screenshot of the text formatted and you wouldn't see what happened if I sent you the project because I manually fixed the formatting. I'm just trying to prevent it from happening again.

--Simone

Archived