Storyist Forums

Storyist to Scrivener and back

silverbreeze

This may already exist. But I would love a way to export Storyist projects to Scrivener in a way that keeps all the extra project info (Characters, Settings etc). I know you can export .Storyist for Word Processing Formats which lets you carry your over the manuscript text. But rather then create a Storyist for Windows, being able to use Scrivener for Windows or as a more robust project platform would be even better in someways.

Steve - THANK YOU for the iPad version. I can't thank you enough for allowing me to work in Storyist when I have time rather then when I have access to my Mac. I can't tell you how many times I have used Storyist for iPad during my commute to my day job.

Also if there are work arounds to share the projects between Storyist and Scrivener could someone point me to them.

Thank you

Hi silverbreeze,

Storyist exports RTF, which Scrivener can read. However, I don't think Scrivener has an equivalent for the character and setting info in a Storyist project, so that would have to exist outside of Scrivener. You can currently export this info as RTF too, but it isn't ideal for "round-tripping".

-Steve

• 7 months later...

I too appreciate the ipad version. It is such an immense help. I just finished a 300 page memoir on Storyist, written mostly on the ipad as I am forever away from the imac. While I could just as easily have done it in any old word processor, having the ipad storyist was sweet as I could be sitting in one of those insanely dull meetings and be working on the memoir to whittle away the time.

• 7 months later...

The ipad storyist does seem to have 'cards' for characters eg protagonist etc, which could quite easily equate to scrivener character cards. Same with pretty much most aspects in my experience.

The ability to import scrivener projects to ipad ie into storyist, seeing that they (scrivener) seem to have given up on an ipad version of scrivener, is some thing that would be useful to a lot of people.

If it's something the scrivener people have indeed abandoned (ie an ipad version), maybe you could collaborate with them for an import / export feature, as it would certainly benefit both parties involved.

As well as all of us paying users.

Thanks .

P.s. At this stage I would be more interested in importing complete scrivener projects from Mac/pc onto ipad.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

I can't get Storyist 3 to import a Scrivener project (.scriv files are greyed out when using File>Import). I am using the 3.0 NaNo trial. Is that feature removed in the trial? I started planning in Scrivener and I'd like to get a feel for Storyist without starting from scratch.

Also, I saw your question in the NaNo forums about session timers. I'll answer there too, but yes, version 3 doesn't currently have session timers. It was a seldom used feature in version 2, and was replaced with a daily writing goal w/ a calendar and graph representation.

That said, I'm open to its return if enough people are interested. If it's important to you, go ahead and start a new thread in the feature request section. I'll link to it from the NaNo forums.

-Steve

Archived