Storyist Forums

Epub validation error

kaatmal

So I created an epub using Storyist and got everything how I needed it. I edited the xhtml file for 2 pages, one to increase the font size of the title on the title page, and another to add hyperlinks within the epub itself. Both work great on the ipad. When I validate I get the following 3 errors:

Type File Line Position Message ERROR OPS/main-1.xhtml 13 41 element "font" not allowed anywhere; expected the element end-tag, text or element "a", "abbr", "acronym", "applet", "b", "bdo", "big", "br", "cite", "code", "del", "dfn", "em", "i", "iframe", "img", "ins", "kbd", "map", "noscript", "ns:svg", "object", "q", "samp", "script", "small", "span", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt" or "var" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg") ERROR OPS/main-1.xhtml 14 41 element "font" not allowed anywhere; expected the element end-tag, text or element "a", "abbr", "acronym", "applet", "b", "bdo", "big", "br", "cite", "code", "del", "dfn", "em", "i", "iframe", "img", "ins", "kbd", "map", "noscript", "ns:svg", "object", "q", "samp", "script", "small", "span", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt" or "var" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg") WARNING -1 -1 item (iTunesMetadata.plist) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file

Obviously the first two have to do with the edits I did to increase the font size (one line is set to 7 and the other is set to 5). The validator I am using is located here: http://validator.idpf.org/

I have no idea what the third Warning is all about.

Any help on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated. I am new to this so maybe my edits created a problem for the validation? The hyperlink edits don't seem to show up though.

Here's the edit I listed to increase the font size: <font size="7">TEXT HERE</font>

Thanks in advance.

Hi Kaatmal,

It looks like there are two errors telling you that a tag you're using a tag (the "font" tag) that is not allowed in ePub and one that warns that you have a file in the package (iTunesMetadata.plist) that isn't in the manifest.

Instead of using the font tag, you can change the font size in css using the font-size property.

Unless you're using an old version of Storyist, the iTunesMetadata.plist was was probably added by iTunes. To avoid this error, you can run the validator before adding the file to iTunes.

-Steve

Hi Steve, I am using the trial version right now, downloaded 2 days ago. Not sure what version that trial runs off of, but thanks for the response.

Since this is all new to me, how would I increase the font size in the css file for just the lines on the title page? I used your shared story file for epub with front info and augmented it with a new new notebooks. One contains just the title of the book I am trying to make. I wanted to make the title large and the subtitle slightly less large, but leave the rest of the font size the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi kaatmal,

Since this is all new to me, how would I increase the font size in the css file for just the lines on the title page?

You'd add a style definition to the stylesheet, something like

.title-body-text {

font-size:14px;

}

and then add the class to the HTML tags in the HTML for the title page.

Lorem ipsum...

-Steve

Archived