Storyist Forums

Links not being saved

Zareh

Hi,

I've been adding links in Storyist to other elements of my project. For example, in a Character sheet I'll add a link to another Character sheet, or to a Setting, etc. I have a rather complex project with lots of interconnecting protagonists and locations, and this feature is very helpful. HOWEVER, after I save, close and subsequently reopen the project, I see that none of the links have been saved - i.e. the blue active link has turned into normal text.

This is pretty frustrating seeing the amount of time I've spent on this. My version of the program is current. What gives?

Thanks in advance.

Zareh

Was able to duplicate this bug; didn't even have to quit Storyist, I just switched pages and came back.

This may or may not also be related to the way images seem to disappear when I paste them into the body of character pages and come back later.

Yes, I'm a big fan of folders too - folders within folders within folders, like the Saragossa manuscript - but this is such a great tool...if only it worked. How often does the developer follow these boards? The sooner the patch, the better...

Steve is extremely active and responsive to the needs/comments of the community. He might be slightly distracted this month though, as I know he's participating in NaNoWriMo.

Still without any knowledge of how complex of an issue this bug is, I wouldn't suggest halting your writing to wait for a fix.

Hi Zareh and Steakpirate,

Except for the notes section, the fields in story sheets are stored as plain text, and can't encode links or images. On Mountain Lion (10.8) at least, it looks like Storyist is allowing your insert links and images in these plain text fields, which it shouldn't do. I'll fix this in the 2.4.3.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to us so promptly. For what it's worth, I'm using 10.5.8. on a G4. I love antiques.

So, If I understand you correctly, the next update of Storyist will allow one to save links/images in story sheets? Your idea of integrating links into Storyist is an excellent one and will be most appreciated. When do you anticipate 2.4.3?

Best,

Z.

I think he's saying that character sheets in their current incarnation aren't designed for that (and that the next patch will prevent you from inserting links and images on these pages, rather than adjusting them to be rich-text files)—which is not exactly what you were hoping for in terms of workflow.

There is already a slot on character pages for handling "character development points", which link in a fashion, so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to create a "related characters/plot points" field, which, while not allowing you to link characters/text/pages willy-nilly, would at least allow you to quickly travel between related pages.

Perhaps you might describe in detail, how you expect links to function (so Steve can decide whether this is both better than the way he envisioned them, and worth the effort of additional coding)

I, personally, grill Steve on issues where Storyist doesn't behave in exactly the way I (and in my mind, other people) expect. He sometimes caves, for a good cause (even when unexpected hours of coding are involved). I'm a bit spoiled by Apple applications.

Archived