Storyist Forums

Scripts drafts

Simon

Hi all,

I started writing my script on the iPad version and only now started to use the Mac version as well. Now that I am also using the Mac and making revisions I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with my drafts.

I could duplicate the script, append a revision number, make a new title page with the matching revision number and date the title page accordingly when that draft is finished. Seems a bit messy or am I missing something?

Ideally the script has a title page attached to it that stays with it when the script is duplicated - then all one needs to do is to change the date in the title page and maybe add a revision number to the script, with all the tracking performed by Storyist.

I tried moving the title page inside the script, but no luck. So instead I just moved it to just above the script - logically that's fine but still a separate entity.

Disclaimer: I'm still reading the user's guide but did search for title page specific info.

Thanks for any tips.

Simon

Unlike the iPad version, the Mac version has a Backups feature. It runs automatically, but you can save backups at will and append comments to keep them separate. You can also clean out the ones you don't need. That's how I keep running drafts (before making major revisions, I do save the file as, say, Lynx3.story).

Go to the File Menu, click on Back Up, and enter a comment. Click the blue button (OK or Back Up—I don't have the program open at the moment). To see the list of available backups, go to the File Menu again and choose Backups. If you want, you can select automatic backups you don't need in the window that opens and delete them. Or you can leave them in place, for safety's sake. From that window you can also open a backup to work on it, among other things.

What you're doing is saving a complete copy of the file at that moment in ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Backups, where ~ stands for the name of your home folder. Apple has "helpfully" hidden the user Library in 0SX 10.7 and above, so you have to go look for it, if you need it, through the Go Menu in the Finder: Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library should do it. Once you can see it, you can stash the Library in your sidebar for future reference.

Best,

Marguerite

I did see the backup feature but there are a few reasons that put me off for using it for this purpose:

1. Can't access them on the iPad.

2. Can't access them on my other Mac.

3. I never liked the idea of the Application Support folder as a place to store user created documents - it think this was a poor design decision by Apple that they and 3rd party developers use. And since Lion the OS hides the user's Library folder this is yet more reason to longer use it. I would rather have the backups in the same folder as my source file, which for me is inside my Dropbox folder.

Hi Simon,

As a related aside, if you wish to make your library folder visible again, type the following in the Terminal app: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

I also think hiding the Library folder was a complete mistake (I access it constantly to manage audio components) and that little command line is a godsend.

Orren

Simon, can you get Dropbox in the UK? If so, that might work best. Dropbox automatically stores old versions of files, which you can access through a free application on both Macs and the iPad, and it doesn't count those versions against your base storage. Of course, it doesn't identify them either, except by date, but Storyist files are not so huge that you would hesitate to save copies under different titles. Storyist for iPad will also sync with Dropbox automatically, although if you are renaming files as you go, you do need to watch that you don't inadvertently delete the older files. If you do, you can get them back—assuming your heart holds out past the moment when you realize what you did. :)

Otherwise, sounds like you might want to post a feature request to allow users to set the backups folder.

Don't get me started on the Library folder. What was Apple thinking?!

M

Orren/Marguerite,

I no longer bother unhiding the ~/Library/ folder, simply alt-click the Go menu in the Finder whenever I need access to it. I just don't think something as critical as a draft should be hidden away in ~/Library/Application Support/, but instead saved along with the user's document in a subfolder.

I would also never use the Dropbox versioning as a way to store my drafts. The free version is only for 30 days. The versions are incremental not specific versions. And it was never designed for this.

I think I've found a better solution for the time being - create a symbolic link of the backup folder in my Dropbox folder. This will sync from Mac to Mac and even allow access on the iPad via the Dropbox app. You can do this via the Terminal, but I'm old school (still call it the Apple key), so found this app linked from the Dropbox wiki that can set it up for you. http://www.zibity.com/macdropany

Now, still don't think this is a perfect solution for drafts, but I'll try it and see how it goes.

Archived