Storyist Forums

Enabling "Check spelling" from a newly created text tile causes Storyist to crash

aramis1250

I just purchased and downloaded Storyist yesterday (29 NOV 2012) from the iPad App Store.

I created a new Novel project, and added a text page (Novel format).

I was editing this new document and noticed that there was no indication of misspelled words, and intentionally misspelled a word to make sure I wasn't just accidentally spelling everything correctly, but it did not mark or autocorrect it. I saw the settings button, clicked it and clicked Edit->Spelling, then turned the Check Spelling item to "On," got the animation of the button turning to "On," and then Storyist crashed.

When I relaunched Storyist, I went back in, opened this same document, tried to turn on Check Spelling, and it crashed again. I did this maybe five or six times.

Then, I relaunched Storyist, opened a previously existing file I had edited yesterday (after pulling it in from Dropbox), turned Check Spelling on from within that document, and it did not crash. I went back into the new document and saw that the red squigglies were present under my test misspellings. Then I corrected those spellings, turned Check Spelling back off, and then turned it on, and Storyist crashed again. After opening the document after this crash, I checked and noted that the Check Spelling setting was "On," and not "Off." I turned spelling off, and back on, and it crashed.

So, it would appear as if creating a new Novel Project and creating a new Novel Text file within that project, and then typing some text into the document and then attempting to turn Check Spelling on causes a crash, even if it was turned On (and, for me, this crash is 100% reproducible).

I have an iPad (3d Gen), 32 GB WiFi/4G on AT&T, running iOS 6.0.1 (10A523), with 2.2 GB available.

Storyist version is 1.3. I installed this version just yesterday, so it's not a previously existing install with an upgrade.

To further refine this, I've created another new Novel project, added a new Novel text file, and opened it.

If I immediately turn Check Spelling on, before adding any text, it does not crash.

However, if I add text (In my case, approx. 15 characters including one short misspelled word), and /then/ turn Check Spelling on, it crashes.

*edit, add following:*

I opened the text document back up, and noticed it had not saved my test text. So I turned Check Spelling off, then back on again without incident. Then I added some text, including a misspelled word, and Check Spelling again caused a crash when turned "On." I re-opened Storyist, drilled to and opened this document again, and noticed the text was not saved. So I added the text, exited the document, went back to the iPad home page, opened Storyist and re-opened that file, and the text was still there. So I turned spelling "Off" (no problem), then back "On," and storyist crashed.

I reopened this file, deleted all the text, turned Check Spelling "Off" (no problem), then back "On," and storyist crashed.

So, more specifically, Storyist appears to crash when a New Novel text file (within a new Novel project, perhaps) is edited and "Check Spelling" is turned to "On," even if it had been previously "On" and was then turned "Off" (for whatever reason someone might do that).

Hi Aramis1250,

Thank you for the report and for your detailed notes.

I can reproduce the bug with the steps you outlined while in landscape mode when text scaling is other than 100%. It doesn't happen for me in portrait mode or when the text scaling is set to 100% in landscape mode.

The problem occurs when you are near the end of the document and the current text scale setting is other than 100%.

I've fixed the bug and will send a version to the testers shortly.

UPDATE: The fix is currently in testing.

-Steve

Archived