Storyist Forums

How to use Plot sheet ?

rognard

Hello,

I'm actually testing Storyist. I'm screenwriter and I like the way Storyist goes. Searching the definitive soft to write my scripts (my graal...), my best choice was Scrivener until I discover Storyist which goes deeper than Scrivener in structure building.

As a newbie, may be I missed something but I try to create plots and then from a plot to assign a section. It's not possible if the section is not already created.

For me it's not logical. First I work on plots and then start writing my scenes...

I also found strange that the Plot sheet summary is not the same as the section sheet summary...

Can you explain me how to work with these sheets ?

Hello,

I'm actually testing Storyist. I'm screenwriter and I like the way Storyist goes. Searching the definitive soft to write my scripts (my graal...), my best choice was Scrivener until I discover Storyist which goes deeper than Scrivener in structure building.

As a newbie, may be I missed something but I try to create plots and then from a plot to assign a section. It's not possible if the section is not already created.

For me it's not logical. First I work on plots and then start writing my scenes...

I also found strange that the Plot sheet summary is not the same as the section sheet summary...

Can you explain me how to work with these sheets ?

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forum!

To work on your story before putting words on the page, you can create and arrange plot points, characters and character development points, and settings. Once you're happy with these, start writing. Storyist will create scene sheets/cards for each scene in your script. When you know what scene the plot and character points occur, you can link them in from the respective sheets.

Many people also like to create cards for the "obligatory" scenes while the story is coming together but before concentrating on the script. While Storyist will create a scene header in your script for any scene card, you're free to move it or delete is as you wish.

-Steve

To work on your story before putting words on the page, you can create and arrange plot points, characters and character development points, and settings. Once you're happy with these, start writing. Storyist will create scene sheets/cards for each scene in your script. When you know what scene the plot and character points occur, you can link them in from the respective sheets.

I see... but as I start writing scenes, I can't keep displaying the informations of the plot sheets... unless I open the outline view of the plot scenes but not the all the sheet.

I see also that I can create custom fields that I choose to display in the outline view of the plots if I want. Very good idea but some fields can't be displayed. And in the scene outline views, I can't display the custom fileds I create. Why ?

It would also be cool to give the possibility to assign colours to cards.

I see... but as I start writing scenes, I can't keep displaying the informations of the plot sheets... unless I open the outline view of the plot scenes but not the all the sheet.

You could also keep the plot index cards up. I think what you are suggesting is that you'd like to be able to keep the plot sheets on screen as you are working on the script. Several others have asked for this too, and I'll add your vote to the list :lol:

I see also that I can create custom fields that I choose to display in the outline view of the plots if I want. Very good idea but some fields can't be displayed. And in the scene outline views, I can't display the custom fileds I create. Why ?

At the moment, you should be able to display any "Text" field. Support for other types (e.g. character) is coming.

It would also be cool to give the possibility to assign colours to cards.

This was a popular request at Macworld. I'm working on this right now.

-Steve

Archived