Storyist Forums

Cursor Jumping

conqueredwolf

I recently purchased Storyist and installed it on my Mac. Actually, today was my first day exploring and outlining with it. The first time I went into it, everything worked great. I saved my work, closed out and returned to it later. When I returned to it and tried to add more to different sections I had already worked on (such as characters, setting and plot points) I clicked where I wanted my cursor to be, but when I started typing it went up to typing in front of the heading of the page I was on. Example, if I tried to add the physical description of a character, what I typed would appear in front of their name at the top of the page. Is anyone else having this problem? What am I doing wrong?

I have had this problem also, especially in editing the POV, and other plot fields. Some times it will not put the cursor where you want it.

Some of the fields moving the mouse will turn it into a little hand, then clicking will get you a menu to link to characters or scenes. I think the UI needs some fixing so it is more obvious what needs to be done in these fields.

I think it's a glitch. I used to encounter it occasionally if I was editing a lot of sheets, but that was quite a few versions ago. It may have something to do with your Mac (or its operating system) not being fast enough to keep up.

You might want to try disabling the AutoSave or setting it to a longer time period (which you can do through Storyist Preferences) and see if that improves things. Sometimes what's happening is that you are typing while the system is trying to save, and that throws the program off—especially if you then start clicking around in an attempt to fix it (ahem, guilty as charged).

Steve will weigh in soon, I'm sure, with better advice.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi conqueredwolf,

The labels in story sheets are not editable, so clicking on the label text (e.g. Physical Description) does not position the cursor there.

Typing in a field in the physical description section shouldn't enter text in the character name field, however. Are you still seeing this?

-Steve

Archived