Storyist Forums

Fdx compatibility issues

Iseras

First I want to say what a great app you've made. But I have a couple of issues regarding final draft compatibility.

1. When I import an fdx file, the coloured outlines/summary appear in storyist (iPad), but when I edit it in storyist and sync it, then open back in final draft, the attributes are gone in final draft (no color or summary) but remain in storyist!. Is there a way to maintain this in both apps?

2. There is a bit of a page difference between both. Maintaining page integrity is really key. Any way to keep it the same? I tried to change the line spacing by selecting all and changing it, but when I close storyist and reopen it revers to the previous line spacing. Anything solution for this?

3. When connecting a keyboard, the tab function works perfectly fine when starting a fresh storyist file. But when I use it with an imported fdx file it doesn't work. Any way to solve this with an imported file?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Iseras,

1. When I import an fdx file, the coloured outlines/summary appear in storyist (iPad), but when I edit it in storyist and sync it, then open back in final draft, the attributes are gone in final draft (no color or summary) but remain in storyist!. Is there a way to maintain this in both apps?

Summaries and colors should import and export correctly. Are you using version 1.3? The Storyist pane in the Settings app lists the version number. If so, are you importing and exporting to the My Projects screen or to a Storyist project?

2. There is a bit of a page difference between both. Maintaining page integrity is really key. Any way to keep it the same? I tried to change the line spacing by selecting all and changing it, but when I close storyist and reopen it revers to the previous line spacing. Anything solution for this?

The difference is probably in the line spacing. The iPad text system adds two points of leading to 12 point Courier while Final Draft does not. To change this, edit the style definitions and change the line spacing from "single" to "Exactly 12pt."

3. When connecting a keyboard, the tab function works perfectly fine when starting a fresh storyist file. But when I use it with an imported fdx file it doesn't work. Any way to solve this with an imported file?

Version 1.3 doesn't import "Next Style" and "Tab Style" information from FDX files, but the next version (out shortly) does. In the mean time, you can set these values in Storyist for iPad as follows:

1. Open your script.
  2. Tap the Tools icon and select Edit > Style > Edit Styles
  3. Tap the Scene Heading style in the Styles dialog that appears.
  4. Tap "Tab Style" and select the style you want to apply when you press the Tab key.
  5. Tap "Next Style" and select the style you want to apply when you press the Return key.
  6. Tap the back button in the upper left corner of the toolbar a time or two to return to the Styles pane.
  7. Tap "Save Style Changes"

The Tab and Return keys should then work as expected.

Also, I've noticed another issue. Whenever I change the page setup of an imported fdx file on the iPad to A4, upon reopening the file it goes back to US letter.

Final Draft files don't encode page size information (notice that the Final Draft application on Mac behaves the same way), so you'll want to set the default page size as follows:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Choose the Storyist pane.
  3. Change the Default Page Size setting from US Letter to A4.

-Steve

Archived