Storyist Forums

Swapping to corresponding index card

DangarStu

I tend to use index cards quite a bit on the iPad version of Storyist, in fact more than on the Mac version because I really like the way they are laid out for the whole story and easily scrollable. The one problem I do have though is that if I swap from manuscript mode to index card mode using the icons in the toolbar, it always scrolls to the very first card rather than the card I was just editing. It would be handy if it would open to the card for the section you were just editing as I tend to swap back and forth, checking my notes then doing more writing.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Good suggestion.

By the way, if you want to see the card for the section you're working on, you could just open the index cards view in the navigator and bring up just that card. The navigator tracks the current selection for this reason.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again Steve

I've not been using version 2 of Storyist for iPad pretty much every day and I've really been loving it. I only go back to the Mac version so for export really. The one thing that has been a bit of a thorn in my workflow is doing a lot of scrolling around to find what I am looking for like the example above. I notice that the same thing happens when I return to the story after closing it down. When I open the manuscript again it almost always opens to somewhere in the middle, but not the place I was last editing. I think open the project browser, expand the manuscript then scroll through about one hundred scenes to find the one I was last working on. If this problem could be fixed I consider the app almost perfect. :)

Thanks again for all your efforts,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Storyist should reopen to the last editing location, which is not necessarily the last scroll position.

It does this so that you can open your manuscript and read it without having the document marked as changed and subsequently synced when you sync with Dropbox.

While it doesn't do so now, Storyist could probably save the scroll position separately (not in the file) so you can reopen to your previous viewing location rather than the previous editing location.

-Steve

Hi Steve

I'm happy with Storyist just returning to the last edited location, I agree that is the best logic, but unfortunately it isn't what I experience. I just did a quick test then: opened the manuscript, navigated to where I am up to, made some edits, backed out so I could do a sync (is there a reason you need to back right out to sync?), opened a different app, then went back in, selected the manuscript and it jumped to a section about forty pages before the bit I was working on. This means that I then need to open the outline, scroll through all the sections and manually find my place again.

Is there any chance this has to do with using a keyboard and Storyist therefore being able to display more of the manuscript on the screen at one time???

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I'm happy with Storyist just returning to the last edited location, I agree that is the best logic, but unfortunately it isn't what I experience. I just did a quick test then: opened the manuscript, navigated to where I am up to, made some edits, backed out so I could do a sync (is there a reason you need to back right out to sync?), opened a different app, then went back in, selected the manuscript and it jumped to a section about forty pages before the bit I was working on. This means that I then need to open the outline, scroll through all the sections and manually find my place again.

Is there any chance this has to do with using a keyboard and Storyist therefore being able to display more of the manuscript on the screen at one time???

Thanks for the update. I'll try to reproduce this here. Forty pages is a bit much...

-Steve

• 3 months later...

Archived