Storyist Forums

Why did my sections disappear from the project view?

I am freaking out. I just updated the iPad Storyist app and I can no longer browse my sections in the project view. I see only the Project name. I have lost any ability to quickly navigate to a section or to move them around. My only view choices are to see the whole document in edit mode where I have to scroll to navigate and the index card view where I can only see/edit section names and not content.

What am I missing? Did this version just take a huge step backwards in functionality?

You know how I missed that? Because you have to be careful to tap exactly on the symbol itself and not the work or the grayed our bar behind the word. That's really silly. It also breaks convention. On top of that, I now have to click twice to see the list view.

Making things even worse, I can't write or edit with the project list view open.

Sometimes I hate upgrades.

Thanks for the assist. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

I can write and edit with the project list view open, you just need need to pin it in place first.

OK, I just figured that out. That gives me the functionality I was looking for. I wish that was the default working space but at least it's there. Thanks.

As much as I think I like Storyist my first impression of it being counter-intuitive and an app that doesn't follow standard conventions is reinforced. I can only imagine it must be difficult to create this kind of cross-platform app.

Hi erwindink,

You know how I missed that? Because you have to be careful to tap exactly on the symbol itself and not the work or the grayed our bar behind the word. That's really silly. It also breaks convention.

Actually, it's the convention specified in Apple's iOS Human Interface Guidelines:

iOS_Human_Interface_Guidelines__iOS_UI_Element_Usage_Guidelines.png

On top of that, I now have to click twice to see the list view.

When you first open the file, you'll need to tap the disclosure button to reveal the outline. After that, though, the disclosed view remains, so you only need to tap once on the navigation button in the toolbar.

Making things even worse, I can't write or edit with the project list view open.

You can still pin the view open, just as you could in version 1.3.

NavigationSidebar.png

Sometimes I hate upgrades.

Thanks for the assist. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Hopefully, after you've had a chance to use it, you'll love the updated navigation sidebar. With it, you you can:

• Quickly switch between files when you're writing. You no longer have to close a file, tap the Back button and the Folder view enough times to get to the file you're interested in, and then open the new file. In fact, the file you're editing remains open, so you don't have the delay (the progress bar) when you return to the file.
  • Add and export files directly from the sidebar.
  • Search outlines, index cards and comments.
  • Quickly return to the Storyist home screen no matter how deep you are in the project.

-Steve

Actually, it's the convention specified in Apple's iOS Human Interface Guidelines:

I am exposed. I've been using Apple computers for 20 years and they become less and less intuitive every year. It seems I have become an old fart who doesn't adapt well to change.

Thanks for the schooling.

Hi erwindink,

I've been using Apple computers for 20 years and they become less and less intuitive every year.

The rate of change in Apple UI design has certainly increased dramatically. Some of it, I'm sure, is change for change's sake, and some, as you pointed out above, is due to the UI challenge of supporting different platforms (Mac, iPhone, iPad) with different input methods (mouse, touch) while keeping the design as consistent as possible.

I try hard not to make changes in Storyist for the sake of making changes. That said, I'm still trying to get my head around iOS 7... :)

-Steve

Archived