Storyist Forums

Version 2 rocks

pmackim

Pretty much all my minor annoyances resolved!

Selection changes by far the most appreciated. And I love Draft Mode!

The selection tool for iPhone is really really cool - any reason not to put it on iPad, too?

Being able to export to .doc would be nice... When people (submission guidelines mostly) request that format, I have to paste into pages and convert, usually on my desktop. Would be nice to be able to skip that step.

Seems like no writing app I know of but pages exports to .doc so I'm guessing maybe you have to pay MS some exorbitant fee for the privilege of coding that?

The Mac version does export to .doc, but RTF works better in terms of retaining all your formatting. Rather than paste to Pages, which destroys your styles, a better option is to download the free Open Office (if you don't have Word); export your manuscript to RTF, which you can do even in the iPad version; and open that in Open Office to save to .doc.

If you do have Word, just save to RTF and open it. Frankly, you should be able to submit the RTF file directly, since the recipient's version of Word will open it just fine. But if you are sending to agents looking for any reason to reject your file, it's probably worth the extra step.

None of which says that you can't ask for the feature to be added! But until it is, these alternatives may prove useful. :)

Documents to Go can open RTF files and, I think, save them as .doc. You could e-mail the RTF from Storyist for iPad and use the "Open in" feature to open it in Documents to Go.

Docs to Go is not free, though. Good Reader may also work and costs less ($5 compared to $10 for Standard and more for Premium). It certainly opens .doc files and TXT files, so I assume it can also handle RTF.

Archived