Storyist Forums

Formatting in Notebook Entries

garrickstaggs

I'm curious. I tried a set up where my chapters were actually written in Notebook Entries because I wanted to use an image as my chapter heading (to keep the font I wanted), but I noticed that all my formatting when exporting to .mobi doesn't keep, i.e. paragraph indentions, etc. Is this normal?

e-book formatting is very basic, so yes, most of it gets lost during the conversion. Type overrides (italics, alignment) generally survive, but not much else, including indentations. Steve has posted instructions elsewhere on how to edit a file after export, for people who really want those indentations retained. And there is a tutorial video on creating an ePub file at http://storyist.com/support/howto/ (the conversions to ePub and MOBI are very similar from the author's point of view) that mentions post-export editing. But in general, fancy formatting does not carry over, because e-book readers determine font type and size and therefore page flow, and things like headers have no place in a e-book file.

Archived