Storyist Forums

Novel Template Formatting and eKindke

Whiterook

Apologies if I missed this elsewhere, but...

I just purchased Storyist for my iPad and started exploring it a little. I noticed the Novel Template has sample text and formatting:

1. 'Sections' are the paragraphs?

2. Most importantly, I do not understand how the formatting of a # symbol between sections (paragraphs?) translates to when you're uploading to Amazon as a eKindle book....

Will the book have # symbols between paragraphs on the kindle version of the book if I leave them in there like the sample?

Will the Kindle book for sale have your last name/title/page number on every page, as demonstrated on the template?

I guess I don't understand the difference between the sample novel template as suggested, vs just doing my own formatting in Word.

Thanks for any help on this. I guess I'm stuck until I figure this out.

Hi, Whiterook, and welcome,
Sections correspond to what are often called scenes, in reference to a novel—that is, parts of chapters, usually much longer than one paragraph. In Storyist, every chapter must have one section to hold the text for the chapter. Whether you have more scenes depends on you. I usually have three to five, marking changes in the character telling the story, breaks in time, or mood shifts.

Each section ends in # in part because that is the conventional scene break marker in manuscripts submitted for publication and in part because that is how Storyist knows that the scene is done. This allows you to move the whole scene to another location just by dragging it.

The # will remain in the exported manuscript unless you remove it. I usually copy my file at the last minute and run a find/replace all search to change the hash marks to asterisks. That leaves only the chapters, each with one large section containing all the text.

Being able to drag sections and chapters into new locations is a big advantage over Word. So is being able to store information about characters, settings, plot, research, and more with your text.

The Kindle book will not have the same running heads (author / title / page no.). But if you specify the author and title in the appropriate boxes when you Export for Kindle, Storyist will use that information to create the same kind of header information you see in any Kindle book.
Best,
Marguerite

Thank you Maruerite...I Appreciate the quick response!

That makes sense to me now and I started my manuscript over again using the above conventions. I noticed that if I use the index cards, it imports the section break automatically: and I did notice I can move sections or chapters around, which is an immense benefit. It was a little funky getting used to the setup, but after realizing the # goes at the end, it started to gel : )

I blocked out my novel with the index cards...and then went into the document and entered 'S1, S2', etc., so I'd remember when I get to those points. A little anal I guess, but after awhile, I'm sure it'll not be necessary and it'll all be second nature.

Thanks!!!

Archived