Storyist Forums

Double spacing

Whiterook

I noticed the default spacing for sections is double spaced. Is that a convention in the publishing realm, or was there other reasioning?

The reason I ask is, if I publish my novel, using Storyist, as an eKindle book...how will the Kindle novel look? Will the linees be double spaced?

I thinking back to, and looking at novels I own and they ddon't look double spaced to me. I realize this may be glaringly obvious from a manuscript publishing standpoint, but it's confusing with e-publishing.

OK.so I've been looking all over the 'Net for formatting advice, and like everything....it's clear as mud! The consensus seems to be the following:

11pt Arial Font

1-1/2 spacing

.25 indent on the first line of each paragraph

The unknowns:

Many say to double space after each section

Confusing

Whiterook,

When you submit a manuscript to an agent or an editor, they want it double-spaced. When you save a Storyist file to Kindle, the output will be single-spaced.

In a published book, you want first-line indents, not spacing, to separate regular body text paragraphs. If you don't change anything, Storyist will apply those, too.

The only time you have to set the spacing to single is if you want to create a print PDF--say, to upload your novel as a PDF file for CreateSpace. You can do that in Storyist if you need to.

Best,

Marguerite

Whiterook,

When you submit a manuscript to an agent or an editor, they want it double-spaced. When you save a Storyist file to Kindle, the output will be single-spaced.

In a published book, you want first-line indents, not spacing, to separate regular body text paragraphs. If you don't change anything, Storyist will apply those, too.

The only time you have to set the spacing to single is if you want to create a print PDF--say, to upload your novel as a PDF file for CreateSpace. You can do that in Storyist if you need to.

Best,

Marguerite

What about font? When a novel is uploaded to Amazon for kindle....does Storyist change the font, or have a default font it automatically uploads? .....

I noticed Storyist's default font is Courier. If I change the font on storyist to say, Arial...when I upload the book for Kindle, will the final product be Arial? ...or will it change to a font Storyist wants?

Archived