Storyist Forums

Problems with new IOS7

Esgarval

I'm new to Storyist and was enjoying it. It offers the benefits of a word processor and outliner combined, though I wish the default view was the "pinned" one.

Then, after the iOS update, some of the styles in a large document got corrupted - turning blue - and I can't find a way to easily get them back. There were many crashes so I waited til the bug fix update which I installed today.

Unfortunately, selecting "copy styles" still crashes the app (running on iPad 2).

Would appreciate a walk through on how to reformat a document using styles from another document.

Thanks.

Hi Venturez,

The bug in iOS 7 is that the new Text Kit returns a garbage value when the app asks for the foreground color of the text and the value is the default (black). This garbage color can be anything (depending on what device you're using and what happens on the device between the time the app asks for the color and the time it uses it) and is variously blue, green or white. If you open the text inspector and view the Font tab, Storyist 2.0.1 crashes when trying to display the garbage color.

Storyist 2.1 works around the bug by recognizing when it is about to ask for the default foreground color and providing it's own (non-garbage) answer, thereby not triggering the bug.

It does look like version 2.1 crashes when you select "Copy Styles" from the selection menu. This doesn't happen on iOS 5 or 6, so this is probably another iOS 7 bug. I'll investigate this right away and will submit a work-around to Apple. I'm sorry I didn't catch this in the last update.

As for reformatting a document using styles from another document, there are a couple of approaches. I've outlined them here.

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Despite my grumbling, I eventually did give in and update to iOS7 for the simple reason that iCloud and iTunes had become really casual about keeping my iPad in sync with my Mac. I still hate the look, which still makes me think of an OS designed by Fisher-Price, but having discovered bolded text and a relative lack of messing with the iBooks app, I guess I can live with it.

In any case, I will soon take Storyist for iPad 2.1 for a spin and report any problems I find (in the beta area).

Your local curmudgeon, :)

M

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Christina,

Have you installed iOS 7.0.3? If not, you'll want to do that first. If Storyist 2.1.1 still crashes on pasting text after you've got that installed, please send a quick email to the support address with a little more information about what you're pasting (e.g. text from another Storyist file, text from another application, images instead of text), and we'll look into this together.

-Steve

Archived