Storyist Forums

Has anyone gotten this error?

mercedes von uppity

"A process outside Storyist has removed one or more project files from a temporary directory used by Storyist. If you choose to save anyway, your project will be saved without these files:"

Following that is s list of what I suppose is "missing" info. I'm at a loss. Does anyone know anything about such an error? THanks.

Hi Mercedes,

When you open a Storyist project, Storyist unzips the contents of the file to a private temporary directory. If you received that message, something other than Storyist removed one or more files from that temporary directory. If this happens Storyist can't display the files.

The files should still be available in any copy on disk (except the temporary directory), including the automatic backups that you can see using the File > Backups command.

What version of Storyist and OS X are you running?

-Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks for the speedy reply and sorry for the slow return. I've been traveling without internet...

I'm running Storyist 2.4 and OS X 10.8.4.

I did pull up the last back-up as you describe (good to know that's so easily accessible.) and copy-replaced the latest edits I'd made and renamed the new document. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve, I have had the same error Mercedes reports about four times. I'm running 10.8.5 Storyist 2.4.2. The error isn't *horrible* but I know how paranoid writers are on losing stuff and your explanation is *very* helpful. Before reading your explanation to Mercedes, my work around was to make sure I saved the file before I closed the macbook and then if I saw that error message, to quit without saving. The key is not to save when you see the error <smile>.

Hopefully the information below will help in a future release...

What happened to Mercedes seems repeatable. My novel is stored on dropbox (thanks BTW for integrating dropbox with Storyist and iPad) and the error appears if I close my macbook pro retina and put it to sleep while Storyist is active and leave it asleep overnight. If the file is in a temporary directory - maybe an OS 10.8.x process removes the files because they are not obviously in use by Storyist, whereas the main file is in use...

I checked /var/log/daily.out and apparently a pending daily script runs as soon as the macbook wakes up. The times in the daily.out are the times I opened up my macbook. The line "Removing old temporary files:" may be what is happening...

/var/log/daily.out extract below.

Best,

parker

grep -e 2013 -e Remov daily.out | tail -n 16
Thu Oct 17 13:01:31 EDT 2013
Removing old temporary files:
Removing stale files from /var/rwho:
Removing scratch fax files
Fri Oct 18 04:10:25 EDT 2013
Removing old temporary files:
Removing stale files from /var/rwho:
Removing scratch fax files