Storyist Forums

Command (RET) not doing anything.

Windlasher

HI:

Having purchased this software quite a while ago, I am just now getting around to using it. (You know how it is)

I imported a MS Word document and am now trying to format the chapter.

I am expecting that pressing (command + return) to insert the section break and or # symbol.

Pressing those two does nothing at all. Am I expecting too much or doing it wrong?

Also pressing command + I does not center text.

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks - WL

EDITED: FYI - Pressing return on a blank line does in fact center text but I had to add the # manually which seems weird to me. once I select section text in the pop-up, should it not just add a centered one?

Hi Windlasher,

Glad you're starting to use Storyist.

Are you trying to use Command+Return in the project view or the text view? It's not a shortcut in the text view, so using it there will have no effect.

Command+| (which is Command+Shift+"\" not Command+Shift+"i") should center the text. Is that the key combination you're using? If so, please let me know what version of Storyist and OS X you're using.

If tab key shortcuts are enabled, pressing *tab* on a blank line should apply the style that is specified as the current style's "Tab Style". You can see what style is assigned in the status bar at the bottom of the text view. If you're using the Novel template and are in the Section Text style, the next style is Section Separator. Storyist doesn't type any text for you when applying the style.

-Steve

Hi Windlasher,

Glad you're starting to use Storyist.

Are you trying to use Command+Return in the project view or the text view? It's not a shortcut in the text view, so using it there will have no effect.

Command+| (which is Command+Shift+"\" not Command+Shift+"i") should center the text. Is that the key combination you're using? If so, please let me know what version of Storyist and OS X you're using.

If tab key shortcuts are enabled, pressing *tab* on a blank line should apply the style that is specified as the current style's "Tab Style". You can see what style is assigned in the status bar at the bottom of the text view. If you're using the Novel template and are in the Section Text style, the next style is Section Separator. Storyist doesn't type any text for you when applying the style.

-Steve

Ok, I think I am starting to figure it out.

Most simply, If I select the "My Manuscript" on the left side, there is an option to add a section or chapter. If I select one of those, it is added. I assume that I could use the cmd/ret to do the same thing because it is listed there next to those options. For some reason it wasn't working, but since I recently created a new document it is now working. (maybe i was just not paying attention well enough)

I think I was also in some sort of ODD editing mode due to my import or a MS Word doc.

Thanks for the info.

Archived