Storyist Forums

Maps

Morgaine

I'm new to Storyist, so this may be a dumb question: Is there a place to store a visible jpg image of a map?

I'm writing a fantasy story and I've created a map to refer to. One of the draws of Storyist is the ability to have everything all nice and neat in one file / accessible through one window. I know you can pull jpg graphics into the small illustration windows, but you can't really see much detail on a small version.

I tried pasting the image into a Word doc and copying it to the clipboard, but I wasn't able to paste it into a Storyist Notebook or Settings page.

Thanks in advance!

Morgaine

Hi Morgaine.

Welcome to Storyist.

A way to view detailed pictures, such as maps in Settings notes, is on the request list, I think. When I find a map on the Web I want to reference I just drag its link from my Browser to a notes section. But I don't think that's quite what you're looking for.

I'm sure Steve will be chiming in soon.

Nice Dragon Icon,

-Thoth.

I'm new to Storyist, so this may be a dumb question: Is there a place to store a visible jpg image of a map?

I'm writing a fantasy story and I've created a map to refer to. One of the draws of Storyist is the ability to have everything all nice and neat in one file / accessible through one window. I know you can pull jpg graphics into the small illustration windows, but you can't really see much detail on a small version.

I tried pasting the image into a Word doc and copying it to the clipboard, but I wasn't able to paste it into a Storyist Notebook or Settings page.

Thanks in advance!

Morgaine

That would be an AWESOME feature.

IF

Okay, pipe dreaming, but wouldn't it be cool if you could view a big map of your world (or city, or abandoned warehouse, whatever) and see little flags for relevant plot points? They get attacked along such and such road, by the river - there's a flag. You click on it and it takes you to the section of text you linked to the flag. Mmm, that would be so damn neat I'm not sure I could contain myself.

23rd century girl,

- Calli

Okay, pipe dreaming, but wouldn't it be cool if you could view a big map of your world (or city, or abandoned warehouse, whatever) and see little flags for relevant plot points? They get attacked along such and such road, by the river - there's a flag. You click on it and it takes you to the section of text you linked to the flag. Mmm, that would be so damn neat I'm not sure I could contain myself.

23rd century girl,

- Calli

There is RPG writing software that works like that. Might even be some free ones by now.

IF

23rd century girl,

- Calli

For real-world locations, it might be interesting to do something with Google Maps, though I don't know if I like the idea of showing Google ads in Storyist.

It would also be possible to annotate an image. This is something I've been thinking about generally. You could

• Draw a box around individuals in a group picture (ala Flickr) and link to a character page for each.
  • Ditto for props.
  • Drop pins on a map (as you suggested) and link to setting notes.

Thanks Calli.

-Steve

Archived