Storyist Forums

Help! Index Card Content Disappeared

larkenmaiden

I've plotted and planned with the index cards and had nearly 60 filled with content notes for various scenes. I went to work on the actual scenes today and after typing several pages I went back to look at the index cards. To my dismay, the content of my first 15 cards or so (not counting the card I was working on) had NO data on them. They still existed, but were blank and just had "Section" in the title space. The remaining 75% of my cards were fine.

What happened? Can I get my index card data back? How do I prevent this from happening again? :(

Hi larkenmaiden,

It's hard to say what happened without a little more information. If you'd like, send a quick email to the support address, and we can look into it together. One thing that sometimes surprises new users is that the index cards are linked to the sections in your manuscript they represent, so deleting sections will delete the corresponding cards.

Storyist does make daily automatic backups, though, so you should be able to recover the cards. You can see previous versions (and restore from them) by returning to the Storyist home screen, tapping the Edit button, and then tapping the Versions (umbrella) icon.

-Steve

Hi larkenmaiden,

You're welcome. As you've probably seen, you can also create backups manually using the same Versions interface. Some people like to make a backup after they've finished a day's writing or before embarking on major changes to the manuscript. You can also use Dropbox to make backups in the cloud, which are useful if something ever happens to your iPad.

-Steve

Archived