Storyist Forums

Hero Template with Props

marguerite

Dear all:

It occurred to me that we could work around the need for prop sheets by establishing a new setting group named props and changing the custom fields. The only thing I couldn't correct is that the sheets say "Setting Details" instead of "Prop Details." Steve?

Of course, it would be nice to have top-level prop sheets, but this is a workable alternative. The template is attached. Download the file to your desktop by clicking on its name and drag it to ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates to have it load as a choice when you start Storyist. ~ stands for your home folder. If you have not downloaded templates before, you can create the Templates folder yourself and drag the file there.

To add more sheets, click on the Props group and click the plus sign (or choose Add/Setting). Then click on the standard Sights/Sounds/Smells tags and choose Display Field. The predefined fields appear in the list, and you can select the ones you want. Click on a field you want to remove and choose Remove Field. You can also click Add Field if you need more than three or if you want to customize fields of your own (Add Field/Customize).

The first three fields in Plot 1 link to sections, settings, and characters, respectively. The other two are text fields.

Hope this is clear!

Marguerite

It occurred to me that we could work around the need for prop sheets by establishing a new setting group named props and changing the custom fields.

Oh sure. And while we're are it, why not just get rid of Character Sheets too. We can do everything in Settings! We can do everything in Notebook, including Sections and Plot. Heck, with enough macros and hooks I bet I could simulate all of Storyist in Word (yes, I said the dirty "word" so there!).

Don't get me wrong, I applaud your efforts on our behalf, but unintegrated stop-gap solutions are not really solutions at all and set a very bad precedent. (Anything that delays Prop Sheets or Bookmarks sets a very very bad precedent.) So allow me to summarize my mature and well-formulated argument: (eyes screwed shut, fingers in ears, shaking head vigorously in the negative) No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

"Woman, you tax me sorely (...but kindly meant and kindly taken),"

-Thoth.

Oh sure. And while we're are it, why not just get rid of Character Sheets too. We can do everything in Settings! We can do everything in Notebook, including Sections and Plot. Heck, with enough macros and hooks I bet I could simulate all of Storyist in Word (yes, I said the dirty "word" so there!).

Don't get me wrong, I applaud your efforts on our behalf, but unintegrated stop-gap solutions are not really solutions at all and set a very bad precedent. (Anything that delays Prop Sheets or Bookmarks sets a very very bad precedent.) So allow me to summarize my mature and well-formulated argument: (eyes screwed shut, fingers in ears, shaking head vigorously in the negative) No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

"Woman, you tax me sorely (...but kindly meant and kindly taken),"

-Thoth.

Do you really believe that Steve will delay adding prop sheets because I post a simple but imperfect work-around?

Fie on you!

M

Do you really believe that Steve will delay adding prop sheets because I post a simple but imperfect work-around?

I hadn't thought of doing that, but now that Thoth mentions it .... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the template, Marguerite.

-Steve

See Steve's comment (above).

Fie on you.

**sniff**

Do I offend? Clearly I've spent too much time at the keyboard and not enough in the tub.

Honored to the the object of your disgust,

-Thoth.

Dear all:

It occurred to me that we could work around the need for prop sheets by establishing a new setting group named props and changing the custom fields. The only thing I couldn't correct is that the sheets say "Setting Details" instead of "Prop Details." Steve?

Of course, it would be nice to have top-level prop sheets, but this is a workable alternative. The template is attached. Download the file to your desktop by clicking on its name and drag it to ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates to have it load as a choice when you start Storyist. ~ stands for your home folder. If you have not downloaded templates before, you can create the Templates folder yourself and drag the file there.

To add more sheets, click on the Props group and click the plus sign (or choose Add/Setting). Then click on the standard Sights/Sounds/Smells tags and choose Display Field. The predefined fields appear in the list, and you can select the ones you want. Click on a field you want to remove and choose Remove Field. You can also click Add Field if you need more than three or if you want to customize fields of your own (Add Field/Customize).

The first three fields in Plot 1 link to sections, settings, and characters, respectively. The other two are text fields.

Hope this is clear!

Marguerite

Thanks I will have to refine the short story fiction that I came up with ... and share...

Archived