Storyist Forums

Not importing my text file

AlwaysSunny39

I have tried multiple times to import both a .txt and rich text document into Storyist (specifically, the Novel template). I go through all the steps in the Import Assistant just fine, but when I hit "Import" absolutely NOTHING happens. No messages, no errors, and no novel text showing up anywhere. This is very frustrating, since I purchased Storyist for the supposed ease of this feature (I write primarily on a portable word processor keyboard). Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I can help with that. Let me ask you a few questions:

1. What happens when you simply drag the .txt or rich text file to the Project view?
  2. What format is the rich text file encoded in? RTF is the preferred format because Storyist can import headers, footers, and style sheets from this format.
  3. What version of OS X are you running?
  4. What version of Storyist are you running?

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I have OS X 10.7.5 and Storyist version 2.4.5.

I am not sure what you mean by clicking and dragging into the Project view. I opened a new Novel template and tried clicking and dragging the .rtf file into it, but all it did was add a hyperlink to the .rtf.

The file is saved in rich text format as far as I'm aware. If it says .rtf after the file name, I'm assuming it's rich text format.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

You can drag a file from Finder to the Project view (the blue sidebar on the left of the window) to import it. This is the easiest way to import something, and if this works for you, it'll help narrow down the possible causes of the behavior you're seeing.

I asked about the rich text format because some people use that as a generic term for text with formatting information and I wanted to make sure you were using a format that Storyist supports.

-Steve

It still doesn't work. When I open Storyist, the only thing I see is Project in the upper left hand corner. Where is "Finder"? Sorry, maybe my Mac is set up differently? I'm about a year new to using Macs, mostly PC background, so I apologize if this is sounding remedial. ;)

Does it help to know where I imported the file from? It came from a Neo Direct 2 word processor keyboard. I saved as both a text file and a rich text file into My Documents. The last time i tried importing it into Novel template, all the Novel template conventions were erased. Ugh.

Hi AlwaysSunny39,

Finder isn't a Storyist feature, it is the OS interface that shows your files--like the Windows Explorer on a PC. You can drag files directly from a Finder window to the Project view in Storyist.

On the source of the RTF: Thanks for pointing that out. It is possible this is a compatibility issue. I'm not familiar with the Neo Direct 2, but I'd be happy to take a look at a sample file that it generates. Please attach it to your support ticket if you'd like me to do so. A couple of paragraphs of formatted lorem ipsum would be fine.

-Steve

Every time I drag the rtf file from Finder into the Project view, all it does is insert the hyperlink to the location of the file. I'm at a loss. Do i have to manually retype my entire manuscript into the Novel template in order to have those formatting conventions?

I'll see if i can send you a test rtf file to see what the problem is. However, I'm curious that the Import Assistant didn't at least give me an error message to tell my why it's not able to bring the file over.

Thanks AlwaysSunny39,

The sample file looks fine. The RTF doesn't include stylesheet information, but it is valid (if very simple) RTF. I'm able to import it into a Storyist project without issue. Are you able to import it?

By the way, it sounds like you're dragging from Finder to the text editor (which would cause a link to be created), not the Project view. The Project view is the sidebar on the left of the window that has the word "Project" at the top. Try dragging the file there.

-Steve

Yes, I tried dragging from Finder to the Project toolbox icon at the upper left corner. Nothing happens.

To your first question, when I was able to import text, the fonts changed, spacing, and everything. Do I just need to reformat it myself in the Novel template to make it look like the original Novel template format?

Hi AlwaysSunny39,

OK, let me make sure we're on the same page:

• You are not able to import your original RTF file, either by dragging it to the Project view or by using the File > Import command. When you try to import, nothing happens.
  • You are able to import the sample file you sent me using one of the above methods.

When I import your sample file, I get the following:

StoryistScreenSnapz087.png

Is that what you see when you import it?

If so, there is likely something in your original RTF file that is causing Storyist to take an exception. What happens if you open the file in another RTF reader like Text Edit?

-Steve

You have been so patient with me, and I thank you so much. The mystery is solved. The Project View sidebar was hidden for some reason. When I clicked "Show Project View" there was the imported file and text in the Novel format. Actually, I had to copy and paste it into Chapter One, but at least it's in the right format! I think I can muddle my way through now.

Thanks again for your patience and help, Steve! I really appreciate it. :)

Peggy

Archived