Storyist Forums

Aleese

How do I set up "just" a blank document and project in Storyist? Does it matter which option I choose?

I don't want to name my writing before I start it. I just want a folder and an actual text document. But I am not sure when I, for example, choose notes that this will function the same as an actual project with subdocuments.

Do some of these differently named projects have different underlying functions?

2. For some reason, when I try to type into the text view--(rather than outline or storyboard) on a new document or note--the cursor makes a sound and I cannot type.

Then I need to fiddle-either give it a title or perhaps type into the index card or outline view).

This is not helpful because I want to get down a thought when writing--and don't want to stop to do formatting (which means I could lose the thought).

3. Is there any way to increase the font size for sticky notes?

4. What's a simple way to increase and decease the indent of the folders/projects in the binder at the left?

Thank you. I love the collage/storyboard feature of Storyist. It's very helpful and unique.

Aleese

Hi Aleese,

Welcome to the forums!

How do I set up "just" a blank document and project in Storyist? Does it matter which option I choose?
I don't want to name my writing before I start it. I just want a folder and an actual text document. But I am not sure when I, for example, choose notes that this will function the same as an actual project with subdocuments.
Do some of these differently named projects have different underlying functions?

Just start with the Blank project template, add a manuscript from the Novel text file template (one way to do this is by choosing "Novel Manuscript" from the Project toolbar item), and delete the template text.

If you have a particular stylesheet you want to use that is different from the styles in the template, edit the styles in the (now blank) novel manuscript, and choose File > Save as Template. Your customized template will now be available in the template chooser when you start new projects.

2. For some reason, when I try to type into the text view--(rather than outline or storyboard) on a new document or note--the cursor makes a sound and I cannot type.

Then I need to fiddle-either give it a title or perhaps type into the index card or outline view).
This is not helpful because I want to get down a thought when writing--and don't want to stop to do formatting (which means I could lose the thought).

Are you perhaps trying to edit the fixed text in a story sheet? Story sheets have editable fields for plot/character/setting-related information, but there the headings are fixed.

If that's not it, please let me know a little more about what you're trying to edit. A screenshot would be helpful.

3. Is there any way to increase the font size for sticky notes?

There isn't. That's a good feature request though.

4. What's a simple way to increase and decease the indent of the folders/projects in the binder at the left?

Just drag a folder to the folder you want to contain it.

Thank you. I love the collage/storyboard feature of Storyist. It's very helpful and unique.

You're most welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

-Steve

Thank you, Steve, for taking the time to answer all my questions.

Setting up a template sounds like a very good idea.

The typing into the text issue is happening when I try to type into a new blank (untitled) document. I'll gather more info to report back later if it doesn't resolve.

Thanks for considering font size flexibility for sticky notes. It helps for vision purposes.

Dragging--Yes, I started to do that. It' s a bit different from Circus Ponies for example.

If you know of any keyboard shortcuts for increase and decrease that would be nice. But it sounds like Storyist has a different procedure.

Regarding the storyboard/collage--I absolutely love this feature. :)

Aleese

Hi Aleese,

The typing into the text issue is happening when I try to type into a new blank (untitled) document. I'll gather more info to report back later if it doesn't resolve.

If this happens again, check to see if you're typing in a header rather than the body of the file. You can use the View > Show Page Guides command to see where the headers, footers and body text boxes are.

-Steve

Archived