Storyist Forums

Use of images in novel

gmurfin

I have a number of maps that I want to make part of my book. The maps are done in various format -- that is I have the maps as jpgs, pdf, EazyDraw, photoshop and several other formats including svg. I do not see any place in the manual that addresses the use of images with the text. I do see use of images in the storyboards. Did I miss it? How do I do this? thanx

You can drag images into your text, if you like. What I do is set up a note in a special folder set up to hold the title page, copyright info, etc., as separate entries and drag the map into that note. Then I select the note on export along with the cover, title page, text, and the rest. The map then becomes part of the e-book file.

Which approach you choose depends on where you want the maps to appear. My way works best for maps at the front (or back).

P.s. The best formats are JPG and PNG. You can drag those into the Images Collection and work with them from there.

Thanks you Marguerite - I was thinking old school with maps on the page(s) where the story refers to them. I am just getting started on using Storyist, so my vision is still geared that way. When you insert a map as part of the e-book file, does this mean creating links then then go to the maps that are intended for a particular page or pages?

Easiest for me to use JPG, but I was concerned about resolution. Perhaps that is not a concern?

Again thanks.

gary murfin

Resolution is usually not an issue for e-books, which use the Web standard of 72 dpi (compared with 300 dpi minimum for print, dpi standing for dots per inch). PNG files can contain transparency and are usually not compressed, but they can be larger.

If you want the maps in the text, you don't link to anything. Just drag the images from wherever you have stored them on your Mac into the Images collection. Then, with the manuscript open, click wherever you want the map to appear. Move your mouse to the Images collection, click on the map you want, and drag it into the text window, releasing the image where you want it to be.

If you export to RTF (Word), the image will go along for the ride but Word may be coy about displaying it. But so long as you stay in Storyist or export to e-book, it should work fine.

Good luck!

M

Archived