Storyist Forums

Storyist freezes up / slows down while writing

Martygav

I will be writing in my manuscript and every so often, quite a bit now, the cursor will stop, the inspector timer stops, and then start working again, and the timer will jump to reflect the actual time that lapsed as well as input any words I typed while it was frozen, for the most part.

This was never an issue until just a few months ago no, and so I upgraded to Maverick on my MBP, and also updated Storyist, and it's still happening.

Sometimes, but not often, I even get the spinning ball of death,instead of my cursor.

I searched to see if this was already an issue elsewhere and I did find a few things, but none of which seemed relevant to me, so I am posting here now.

It's frustrating because there I am in the middle of a few lines and it's like my focus gets broken (hard enough to stay focused!) as I wait for the system to catch up.

I'm running Storyist 2.4.5 on MBP mid 2012....using Maverick, all of which was updated.

I have about 82,000 words running in one continuous document.

I use the inspector to time my writing time and word output on a daily basis as well as overall.

I shut off all other applications to see if any of them are dragging my mbp down.

My MBP is in excellent shape, no problems of any kind that I can see with anything else I do on this thing....probably just jinxed myself.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

And since I am here, let me say it.....LOVE Storyist...

Thanks.

I don't know if this applies to you, but after I upgraded my 2009 iMac to Mavericks, I had a lot of these temporary freezes (not just in Storyist). I eventually upgraded the RAM in the computer from 4 GB to 12 GB, and the freezes stopped.

Mavericks will run on older machines, but it uses a good 3GB of RAM all on its lonesome, so that doesn't leave much space for other programs.

You can see if that's a problem for you by checking the Activity Monitor.

Best, and welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

I just checked my MBP and it has 8 MB of memory installed...maybe it needs 12.

I launched my activity monitor and not sure what I am looking for, but I do not see anything jumping out as a problem, at least from what I think I might know.

But maybe I do need 12MB for it to run.

Thanks for your reply.

Marty

It could be an autosave issue, then. Next time, check if the program notifies you that it's automatically saving a backup file when the freeze occurs. Steve may also have some suggestions.

I don't think there's a way to turn autosave off or set the interval to a longer time period, but if that's what's going on, the program usually catches up quickly and dumps your text on the screen. It's best not to click around too much while it's catching its breath, as that just slows things down even more.

Hi Marty,

If Storyist freezes and you have to force-quit, Mavericks should offer to send a spin dump to Apple. If this happens again, please copy the spin dump text from the report and send it to the Storyist support address too. This will help me see what is going on.

BTW, 8 gig should be fine.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Ok, will do. I don't recall ever having to force quit Storyist, so it's not ever been quite that bad. My last two sessions were, of course, just fine, now that I am kind of hot on the trail of this : )

What I plan to do now is to make sure I'm not loaded up on applications and open windows and what not, when in Storyist, and I will see what's doing. I don't think I ever was "loaded up" before but maybe some other stuff was open that I was not aware of?

I will keep you guys posted here and thanks for your support!

Marty

Archived