Storyist Forums

Editing and Exporting

JJSilver

I'm having difficulty editing and exporting, and am wondering if I can do these things at all. I am trying to cut and paste and move around blocks of text within a Storyist text file.and I can't seem to do this - as I can do with all other word processors.

I would also like to export the text in the manuscript to another word processor as rtf. I find that no matter how which pathway I try I cant get a file or even a "select all" block of text to copy into, for example Pages.

I can' t find any clear reference in the documentation. Please help. Thx.

If I select all of a manuscript to try to paste it in another document editor, the Copy command never pops on and I'm sitting there with highlighted text but no ability to copy it elsewhere. (could this be an issue withe the ipad clipboard not accommodating a large text file?)

If I try to "open in" another application, say Evernote, or Docs to Go, I can't "Select all" from one of those into a Pages file.

Here's my ultimate issue. I'f I can't move (by selecting and dragging or selecting and cutting and pasting) blocks of text within Storyist, I want to do it in Pages. I want to be able to get a document out of Storyist in its entirety, and work on it in Pages. I cannot export it and I cannot cut and paste it. Am I doing something wrong or is my manuscript stuck inside Storyist?

Hi, JJSilver, and welcome to the forums,

You should be able to select text in Storyist for iPad by triple tapping on a paragraph and choosing cut or copy, then moving to the location where you want it, tapping, and choosing paste. If you want Storyist to recognize the text as a new section, you also have to insert # on a line by itself and choose the style Section Separator (where it says Section Text).

To move an entire section, pin the outline on the left, tap Edit, then drag the section using those iPad dragger lines to wherever you want it.

To save an entire file to RTF, don't copy and paste. Instead (this assumes you are the top level, where you can see all the different projects), do the following:

1. tap on the project that contains the text you want to save.

2. tap on the folder marked Manuscripts.

3. tap Edit in the top right corner, then when you see the word Edit change to Done, tap the file you want to export.

4. tap the icon at top left (it looks like a box with an upward-pointing arrow) and choose Copy to Dropbox, Copy to iTunes, or Email Document, depending on where you want to save the export.

5. the Choose Format window pops up. Choose RTF, and you're done.

Word, but not Pages, will recognize styles in the RTF, which makes your life much simpler.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived