Storyist Forums

Procrastination Station

Steve E

I am rolling my eyes and hurling gluten free blueberry overmuffins in your general direction. Bob and weave, Thoth, bob and weave.

Off to shoot my long bow B)

- Jules

You go, girl! (I think he writes this stuff to keep his overmuffin cupboard well stocked. He's probably going to feed this lot to the unfortunate friend :lol:).

Last night I was reading a translation of the Baburnama (memoirs of Babur, the first Mughal emperor), and it mentioned that someone was using a slur bow. What is a slur bow, Archer Jules?

Thanks,

M

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last night I was reading a translation of the Baburnama (memoirs of Babur, the first Mughal emperor), and it mentioned that someone was using a slur bow. What is a slur bow, Archer Jules?

Thanks,

M

For what little it's worth:

Slur bow: A crossbow with a barrel slotted on both side for the string, dating from the early 16th century.

Source: Archery Vocabulary.

Yes, I know I'm not Jules. But I brushed by this page before when we all were talking about archery.

Hurl them overmuffins. My supply is running low.

- Thoth.

For what little it's worth:

Slur bow: A crossbow with a barrel slotted on both side for the string, dating from the early 16th century.

Source: Archery Vocabulary.

Yes, I know I'm not Jules. But I brushed by this page before when we all were talking about archery.

Hurl them overmuffins. My supply is running low.

- Thoth.

Thanks! :lol: Batch of gluten-free overmuffins heading your way by Owl Post. I wouldn't hurl them in gratitude; they might get smooshed. B)

M

Does that mean I should read the books? I think I saw the first or second movie, I can't remember. :unsure:

I must have misunderstood. When you said, "Not a fan (movies only)", I though that meant you weren't a fan of the movies but liked the books. But you meant that you only saw the movies and didn't read the books. Correct?

But should you read the books? I don't know. What do you usually read? What do you like?

Learning about Cali.

- Thoth.

*gag* Harry Potter Movies! >_

Not a fan (movies only)

- Jules

Alan Rickman :unsure:

Love the books. Tolerate the movies, which are fun but otherwise unmemorable (although Ralph Fiennes—it is Ralph, right?—makes a decent Voldemort), except for AR, whom I would watch in anything.

More than you wanted to know, probably, :)

M

I've read all the books. I actually read every previous book over each time a new book came out, which means I'm entirely sick of the first 3! lol! I need to reread the 5-7th, cause I really can't remember a whole lot about those. I actually tried listening to the first couple chapters of the 5th on and online audio book by Stephen Fry, who did a nice job, to put me to sleep last night. It didn't work, but it was a great listen.

I don't like the movies because they leave soooooo much out and change so much, they've changed big plot points, and that annoys me. I've seen the first 4 movies, or most of them anyway, but everytime I go to watch them I think.. well maybe they're not so bad, then I watch them and end up yelling at the screen. The only book to movie I've seen done worse is Eragon. Though, I admit I haven't read a lot of the books for a lot of the movies I've watched, so I can't really say how accurate the rest are. The effects and the cinematography are great, but they annoy me entirely.

Alan Rickman will always be Colonel Brandon (Sense & Sensibility) to me. I was devastated when I heard he was playing the evil-ish Snape, though he does a good job with it. Alan could read me an audio book any day. I reallllllly like his voice... anyone know if he does read any audio books?

Calli, you should most definitely read the books. They're much better than the movies.

- Jules

Alan could read me an audio book any day. I reallllllly like his voice... anyone know if he does read any audio books?

Just two audio CDs: The Return of the Native (reader); Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales (one of several readers).

Snape as sex symbol? Who knew?

- Thoth.

They are much richer than the movies. But (as a guy) gotta love those movie sfx.

- Thoth.

Unfortunately, SFX is almost all the newest film has going for it. I watched it three days ago. I was highly disappointed. I won't say why on here. I don't want to ruin anything. There are problems with how the movie deviates from the book, and there is one blatant gay stereotype, which was basically a "nudge nudge, get it, he's gay." It was a terrible and needless addition, and I would not be surprised if gay people find it offensive. Also, they don't do the title of the book justice in the film. The whole HBP thing is such a small part, that naming it HBP makes about as much sense as naming the third film, "Harry Potter and the Whomping Willow." For that matter, let's rename the fourth film, "Harry Potter and One of the Guys who Cheers at the Quidditch Game at the Start of the Story."

Okay, that's all I will say. Watch it, but go expecting that it won't follow the book and will feel rushed.

Not yet but I plan to.

- Thoth

Saw the Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince movie today. As expected, the book was better. Dumbledore's cyclone of fire in the cave of aquatic zombies was spectacular.

Synchronized zombie aquacade at the next Olympics! Yeah!

Tomorrow I test out your overmuffin recipe.

- Thoth,

Also, they don't do the title of the book justice in the film. The whole HBP thing is such a small part, that naming it HBP makes about as much sense as naming the third film, "Harry Potter and the Whomping Willow." For that matter, let's rename the fourth film, "Harry Potter and One of the Guys who Cheers at the Quidditch Game at the Start of the Story."

That kind of bummed me out too. They pretty much completely ignored those parts of the book, so the "shocker" wasn't very grand. It would have made more sense to call it "HP and the Vanishing Cabinet" or "HP, the Sixth Film" or, dare I say it, "HP and Friends hit Puberty." :unsure: The half-blood prince wasn't really the focus.

That kind of bummed me out too. They pretty much completely ignored those parts of the book, so the "shocker" wasn't very grand. It would have made more sense to call it "HP and the Vanishing Cabinet" or "HP, the Sixth Film" or, dare I say it, "HP and Friends hit Puberty." :unsure: The half-blood prince wasn't really the focus.

I agree that the "shocker" wasn't much of a great reveal in the movie; just one throwaway line. But the potions book played a significant role and that belonged to the HBP. As for alternant titles, I vote for "HP and Friends hit Puberty." The girls, at least, have filled out nicely. (Emma Watson is 19 now. Ginevra Molly "Ginny" Weasley is now taller than Harry. Interesting, considering the epilogue to Deathly Hallows.)

Oh well.

- Thoth.

Haha... I haven't seen it yet (and probably won't.. at least not in the theaters), but I vote for the Puberty title as well. That made me laugh!!

It's been a quiet day. How's everyone? I had a lovely day visiting the Academy of Natural Sciences. They have a visiting exhibit with live geckos and it's amazing. Simply amazing. I recommend it highly for anyone who can go (M!) well.. if you like Geckos anyway... They also have a nice butterfly room (live... and rather hot and humid)... I am actually going to apply for an internship in their live animal center. Hurrah! Hopefully I will make it!

Hopeful!

- Jules

It's been a quiet day. How's everyone? I had a lovely day visiting the Academy of Natural Sciences. They have a visiting exhibit with live geckos and it's amazing. Simply amazing. I recommend it highly for anyone who can go (M!) well.. if you like Geckos anyway... They also have a nice butterfly room (live... and rather hot and humid)... I am actually going to apply for an internship in their live animal center. Hurrah! Hopefully I will make it!

Hey, who doesn't like geckos. (Did they have English accents like the Geiko gecko?) The Academy of Natural Sciences sounds lovely. I spent a summer interning a few blocks from the New York Botanical Garden. Established in 1891 as 250 acres set aside in Da Glorious Bronx. They even had/have a herbarium archive of over seven million specimens. Man, that's a lot of herbs. I spent every lunch hour there, way back when. No geckos, though.

What did I do today? I baked a batch of blueberry overmuffins. (Used Splenda.) The first batch burned a bit but the second and third were perfect. In general, they went over well.

Looks like I'm getting lucky tonight.

(Stop looking over my shoulder!)

- Thoth.

That is a lot of herbs!

The Geico Gecko hardly even deserves the name Gecko now. I loved it when he first came out and 1. Licked his eyeballs like an actual gecko and 2. didn't work for Geico and got "wrong numbers" a lot... but yea.. now he blinks and acts a lot more human... >_<

"over well" hahaha!

Now really wants a blueberry muffin

- J

Archived