Storyist Forums

Procrastination Station

Steve E

unrelated, but i can't use my right arm! :huh: it's driving me insane! i am supposed to not move it today - husbands orders, but... ergh. what do you guys do when you overdo it and hurt yourself?

Well, when I broke mine I went to the hospital for a week and then rehab for about a month. If your health insurance doesn't allow for such luxury then might I suggest a sling. Seriously though, if you really can't move it and it's not getting better then I would see a doctor and get the sucker check out. Could be nerve damage or a tiny demon infestation. You never know.

-Dr Thoth.

BTW: How did this happen? Breakdancing?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
unrelated, but i can't use my right arm! :huh: it's driving me insane! i am supposed to not move it today - husbands orders, but... ergh. what do you guys do when you overdo it and hurt yourself?

That's a major bummer, but it could be worse. I agree with you husband. Stay in bed. Heal. Don't reinjure it.

I rarely hurt myself really bad. When I can't move, I just revert to using telekinesis, though I've been told that not everybody has that luxury. Really?

Heal fast,

IF

Well, in my experience (and as a wannabe ballerina of a "certain age" I can assure you I have lots of experience), there are two kinds of injuries: the kind that get better when you use them and the kind that don't. You can tell which one you have in about ten minutes—maybe two. (Hint: excruciating pain means you have the second kind.)

If you have the first kind, hallelujah, you're all fixed and you go on with your life. If you don't, try the aspirin/ice route for about 24 hours. If it doesn't work, hie thee to a doctor (you can do it now or you can do it later, but the longer you wait, the more it will cost you—in rehab time, not money). As Thoth notes, things can go wrong that you can't fix by yourself. In the worst case, you go to the doctor and s/he says, "Nothing to worry about. Just swing the arm around a few times, and everything will be okay." Then you can use it without worrying you're making matters worse.

If the hubby is into gentle massage, so much the better.

Take care of yourself—and let us know what happens!

M

I agree with M. (Now if you had Isaac's telekinesis or my teleportation powers, or even M's ability to transmute dark matter into overmuffins, that would be another story.) But as a point of clarification, when you say you can't move your arm, do you mean it doesn't respond to your will (which suggests nerve damage or blood flow blockage) or that it just hurts like the Dickens when you try (which suggests muscle or bone damage)? I mean, did you just sleep on it funny and it got all numb or did you bang it up fighting the forces of evil?

I'd like to rule out post-traumatic psychosomatic paralyses.

Have you ever fought the Forces of Chaos as part of a superhero team?

Seriously, take care of yourself. Gentle massages work wonders on other parts of the body as well.

-Dr Thoth.

Thanks guys. Last few days, I've been working non-stop on the computer, putting in roughly 12 hour days. I'm trying to get the art finished for the video game my husband and his buddies are working on. Last night when I was going to bed my whole arm, from my shoulder blade to my wrist, felt sort of like it had been stuffed into a sausage casing. I thought it would get better with some sleep, but when I woke up it hurt to pick anything up or even rotate my hand/elbow/shoulder. I've iced it all day, stretched, massaged, and this is about as much as I can type with two hands -- so switching back to ol lefty. Phew. It is getting better, but it's so frustrating! I can't do anything! Wish I could see a doctor, but we don't have health insurance. Bah. Well, hopefully it'll get better soon - I have deadlines to meet. :P

Thanks guys. Last few days, I've been working non-stop on the computer, putting in roughly 12 hour days. I'm trying to get the art finished for the video game my husband and his buddies are working on. Last night when I was going to bed my whole arm, from my shoulder blade to my wrist, felt sort of like it had been stuffed into a sausage casing. I thought it would get better with some sleep, but when I woke up it hurt to pick anything up or even rotate my hand/elbow/shoulder. I've iced it all day, stretched, massaged, and this is about as much as I can type with two hands -- so switching back to ol lefty. Phew. It is getting better, but it's so frustrating! I can't do anything! Wish I could see a doctor, but we don't have health insurance. Bah. Well, hopefully it'll get better soon - I have deadlines to meet. :P

Make sure you are stretching your neck (nodding is usually a safe exercise) to keep the blood flow to your arms going. Definitely worth seeing a doctor.

IF

Make sure you are stretching your neck (nodding is usually a safe exercise) to keep the blood flow to your arms going. Definitely worth seeing a doctor.

I have to agree with Dr Isaac. The "sausage casing" comments suggests swelling due to a restricted blood flow. I had a picc line inserted once that went bad. My whole arm and hand swelled up to twice its normal thickness. It went back to normal within an hour of their taking out the tube. If the swelling doesn't go down soon, and you regain the use of your arm, you really should consider a visit to the ER. (Sorry about your insurance situation.)

If it was just fatigue the arm should have been more or less normal after a night's rest.

Man, life sucks sometimes.

-Thoth.

Launching myself into little old lady land,

(How many will get the reference? Odds anyone?)

-Thoth.

When do you leave? And for how long? Do you get to take your laptop this time, or are you going to be pushing old ladies away from the keyboard with your walker?

Stay away too long, and Isaac and I may equal that monster post total of yours (as a kollektiv, if not individually). :P This assumes Isaac doesn't turn me in to Microsoft for the bounty, of course. :)

Best wishes for your recovery. Yours, too, Calli. Not to diss the guys, but what you're describing doesn't sound as dire as I first thought. I've experienced similar problems, and the icing, massage, rotating (within reasonable limits), and rest routine usually does work. Most likely, the injury will heal itself in a few days so long as you don't pull another round of 12-hour days at the computer. But if it's still bothering you by Monday, I would definitely check it with a doctor, health insurance or not. As my first boss used to say: your time is also money.

Good luck! Let us know when you're back in the pink.

M

Hi guys! Regaining a bit of strength this morning. I can open my water bottle, but I can't turn the doorknob in the bathroom. :) Typing is easier too, but I'm still left-handing the mouse. I'm going to try and work a little bit after the Excedrin kicks in, but I'm definitely going to keep stretching and icing.

Thank you all, you rock. :P

Calli, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling a little better. You rock.

M, the reference, "Launching myself into little old lady land," is a line from The Producers, where the protagonists plot to sell 100% of their play several times over. It was sort of directed at Steve's sale of all rights to his photo twice. (Too subtle?)

As for when I'm going back to rehab for walking lessons, I've had to put that off. Family emergency. Dad's on the edge and we're considering a DNR.

-Thoth.

M, the reference, "Launching myself into little old lady land," is a line from The Producers, where the protagonists plot to sell 100% of their play several times over. It was sort of directed at Steve's sale of all rights to his photo twice. (Too subtle?)

Not for most people, I'm sure. The Producers is on my must-watch-someday list, but it's a long list (too much time spent fooling around with The Scarlet Pimpernel, no doubt—or at least playing with Storyist).

As for when I'm going back to rehab for walking lessons, I've had to put that off. Family emergency. Dad's on the edge and we're considering a DNR.

-Thoth.

Ouch! That's terrible! :P:)

All my sympathy,

M

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Sometimes things just pile up and it's hard to crawl out from underneath them. We just got back from a week long trip back to California for my grandpa's funeral. I'm going to finish this crap I'm working on for the game, and then I'm going to tuck back into writing. I've been away from it for too long.

- Calli

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Sometimes things just pile up and it's hard to crawl out from underneath them. We just got back from a week long trip back to California for my grandpa's funeral. I'm going to finish this crap I'm working on for the game, and then I'm going to tuck back into writing. I've been away from it for too long.

Sorry about your grandpa. Were you close?

IF

- Calli

Welcome back Calli. I'm very sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

-Steve

Thanks guys! I'm not really torn up about it, to be honest. He'd been sick for so long it's kind of a relief. He didn't remember us or the things he had done/said. I feel sad for my grandma, who's adjusting to not having to take care of him round the clock, but mostly I'm glad. He died in his sleep, at home, so it could have been worse.

What has everyone been working on?

Does that mean you haven't been working on ANYTHING at ALL?

The Resident Rascal

- Calli

I think Isaac is implying that his secret plans for world literary conquest are... secret. To spill the beans would endanger his plans and get sticky bean juice everywhere.

Keeping his own beans in the pot to simmer,

-Thoth.

I think Isaac is implying that his secret plans for world literary conquest are... secret. To spill the beans would endanger his plans and get sticky bean juice everywhere.

Keeping his own beans in the pot to simmer,

-Thoth.

Well, Isaac can't take over the world until he finishes chapter 7, so there's time to stow the silverware and sell the kids into slavery—maybe even eat a slice of Evil Alien Overcake or two. :lol:

Since everyone else is insisting on keeping his literary cards close to his chest, far be it from me to break ranks....

M

Archived