Storyist Forums

proper export of .fountain doc w/o excess periods

I'm experimenting with writing in fountain on Storyist. My first attempt at an export after tweaking a fountain doc resulted in a bunch of extra periods (.) following every scene heading. I understand how this makes some sense, as the period forces the scene heading style. But the beginning of a line with EXT. or INT. also forces this style. It's redundant and cluttered to add extraneous characters. Can you explore removing this, or explain the rationale behind it?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi awhilliard,

Could you provide a little more information on the "extra periods" issue? I'm not seeing that. When I export the script from the Screenplay project template as a Fountain file, I get this:

FountainExport.png

which is valid Fountain markup, and what you'd expect to see.

Let me know what steps you're taking to get the result you're seeing.

-Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Steve,

I just ran a test on a fake fountain document (just a few little scenes typed up with various elements). No problem importing and exporting with fountain through Storyist. I think my earlier problem resulted from tweaking a bunch of format settings within Storyist. I tried to make the styles look the way I like (ie. bold scene headings, no underline). When I exported, I think that's when this excess styling caused excess fountain garbage.

Any way you could let a writer work within a fountain document viewing with preferred style, but then export with this style "stripped?" That would be very helpful in workflows involving multiple apps.

Thanks for your work!

Hi awhilliard,

Thanks for the feature request.

Storyist currently applies the default screenplay stylesheet when importing Fountain files. It could probably provide a mechanism for setting a user-defined stylesheet in a future release.

-Steve

Archived