Storyist Forums

How it all works

The Poptart

I am looking into purchasing this program for my daughter who writes. However, my question is this. We collaborate with her and would like to continue to do so. So, I read where this program crosses over from Macbook Pro, to iPad, to iPhone.

My question is this, would this work across all three of ours MacBooks, iPhones and my daughters iPad as an App? Or, would I need to purchase this for each unit?

Thank you

Hi, The Poptart (what a great user name)--

Welcome to the forums.

Steve Shepard, our Mighty Developer, will have to answer the licensing question. I can say two things.

1. The integration between iPad and Mac is pretty seamless. I have never had any trouble with it.

2. The iPad app and the Mac version are not the same (the Mac version is more powerful; the app is less expensive—that's not an accident). So you would need a Mac version for your Macbook and at least one copy of the app for the iPad/iPhone. The app cost $10, last time I checked, and the Mac version sometimes goes on sale, especially during National Novel Writing Month. Steve can address that issue also.

Hope you decide to join us—us being the Storyist community!

Best,

Marguerite

I can give you one more answer in addition to M's: the way that the iOS App Store works is that everyone who is on the same account can use the app. So if everyone had the same Apple ID of "Poptart" for their separate iPhones, iPads, etc. then everyone could use the same installation of Storyist for iOS. However, if you had an Apple ID of "Poptart" and your daughter had the Apple ID "Little Poptart" than you would have to buy one license of Storyist for iOS for Poptart and another for Little Poptart.

I believe that with iOS 8, Apple is introducing "family accounts" and it might be possible to link multiple accounts but that isn't the case yet.

Hope that helps,

Orren

Good information Orren. I'll at least get the App for now to play with until there is more info on the actual software.

So far, liking the involvement of others. Makes me feel like when The Poptart does start posting, she'll get all the answers she needs. She's only 12 so I'm very excited for her to be able to use these resources on her own and feel confident that she will find solutions what her needs might be.

Warm Regards

Ok, something here came up, I went to iTunes and looked up Storyist, they show two versions. One for iPhone and one for iPad, both $10. Do I need to purchase both or just one? If just one, which one? She has an iPad and an iPhone.

Thank you again.

Warm Regards

Hi Poptart,

There is only one version for iOS and it runs on both iPad and iPhone. I don't know why Apple presents it as two. You don't need to purchase it twice.

The licensing for iOS is as Orren describes. Apple's policy is that up to 10 iOS devices linked to the Apple ID that was used to purchase the app can download and use it.

The license for the Mac version is also per user. I don't have a formal family plan, but if you send some email to the support address, we can figure something out.

Good luck to your daughter!

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Poptart,

As Orren mentioned, if they sign in with the Apple ID you used to purchase the app, they should be able to download it.

I suspect that they are signed in with their own Apple IDs.

-Steve

Ok, as you had suspected Steve, we had it set up wrong. Now, we have it installed but she has been overwhelmed with the understanding documents on how to use. I downloaded the PDF of the Storyist Guide, maybe that will help.

May I also ask, as we are wondering if there is a coupon available?

Once we go ahead and purchase this, I will be handing over the forum questioning to The Poptart. Please be easy on her, and of course, appropriate, she is only 12. A very precocious 12. A very mature and intellectual 12, but she is still 12. Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is the Poptart,

So I was starting to transfer my writing over to Storyist and realized it started with chapter 1, but my story begins with a prologue. I was wondering how you added it in or if you didn't add it in till later on Storyist. Do you know what I should do?

Hi, Poptart, and welcome!

It's easy to add a prologue. You can see from the screen shot how my current book looks in the Project View (that outline on the left). A chapter can be called anything, so the easiest thing is to add your manuscript, then add a new chapter called Prologue, and give it one section. The section holds the text of the manuscript, and the "chapter" tells Storyist that this is the equivalent of chapter 1. Whatever you call the chapter will become its name in the table of contents and in the manuscript: it doesn't have to be Prologue. (Mine is The Swan Princess.)

The easiest way to do this is to click in the manuscript itself, at the very beginning, after you have all the text in Storyist. Type "Prologue" (or whatever you want to call it) on a line by itself and hit return. Then look at the very bottom of the text window. You will see a % (the zoom), a word count, a page count, and next to it a box that says something like Section Text. Click in the title you just typed. Then click on Section Text and choose Chapter Title from the list that pops up. Storyist will make a new chapter with the name you typed.

If that's not clear, write back and I'll try to explain better.

Prologue.png

I've been using a slightly different approach, may or may not be the right one.

I did not want the same formatting as the manuscript pages, so I included my additional pages separately and pull it together into the book form in the Extract dialogs.

post-1667-0-47808800-1406167509_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, The Poptart:

The best way is to go to the File Menu and choose Export. A window opens that says "Select items to export." Click on the check box next to the name of your manuscript (and any other files you want to export, but let's assume just the manuscript for now). Under the list of items is the word Export, with a pull-down menu. Make sure it says Files. For Format, it works best if you leave the default of Rich Text Format, but you can pull down that menu and export directly to .doc or .docx if you want to give it a try. Then click Next and Next again (because you don't need the options on the second page to export a text file). Tell Storyist what to call your file and where to put it.

If you chose a Word format, you can just double-click on the file to open it. If you chose RTF, then open Word first and tell it to go find your file. You can save it as .doc file from within Word.

If you'd like to know more, I wrote a set of detailed instructions on sending files back and forth from Storyist to Word a while ago. Steve pinned them to the top of the Using Storyist thread, and you can find them here.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived